New Setiger $$ in the house

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
With eight of these guys in the growout, its tough to be able to get a whole lot of details with the school darting around.

My belief is based off anal fin I have two males, Is this what I should be looking at?
IMG_1698.jpeg

Another thing Ive notice is a couple different anal fins and mouth shapes that make me think possibly may not be all Setiger Sd's. What do you guys think? F FJB your thoughts?
IMG_1697.jpeg

Reactions: kno4te

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I do think the specimen you marked as possible male is indeed a male. I don’t see another in the shots you have shown, but understand you feel there are two males. With a group of 8, two males would be a great ratio to have. A male-heavy group could be problematic, unless they are all males.
It is interesting you mention the apparent differences in anal fins among the females. I noticed it too, observing two types: the big, heavy fin similar to blue hooks, and the more delicate hook of the other specimen.
Another possibility is that the delicate-looking hook may be in males who have not yet developed a second lobe in the anal fin, but which may still do so later. However, not having experience with this species, and the fish being still young and developing made me think that I was imagining things. But you mentioned too so I am not crazy after all. Perhaps you are onto something there. Time will tell and teach us all.
Regarding differences in shape of the mouth- I am not sure since I only have a few shots to see, whereas you have the group to observe at ease. But it is very interesting. Again, time will tell. Not much time as they are maturing fast!
Beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing!!!!! (and keep showing them)

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
aquaticeye aquaticeye , awesome male! That's what I'm hoping for with mine, that red coloration

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Two confirmed males in my batch

sd males.jpg
The upper male in the above pic has the sailfin trailers as seen a little bit in the lower pic
sd males 1.jpg

Still a bit odd that the other females have two distinct types of "hooks' with one type being fat and the other thin.

Fish are doing great but I need to move them into the 8 ft tank at some point. Still a bit leery because my endli has munched on other fish in this size category. Might be better to pull the endli out for a bit and move the SD's into the 300...

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store