New silver arowana

tigrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
jamaica
i just bought my 2 inch baby silver arowana. He looks like hes in pretty good shape just stressing right now. i just wanted to see how many times a day i should feed him. how soon will he start eating floating sticks? i will take some pictures when he settles in a little more.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
At that size a good first food is freeze dried bloodworms. Feed it 4-5 time daily.

Vincentii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2009
London, U.K
i got mine at 3'' ate hikari cichlid gold straight after i introduced it into the new tank. from experience with arowana'sthey arent fussy what they eat.at that size feed it 2-3 times a day in small quantities and dont overfeed too many dry food as they are prone to get fatty deposists behind their eye's and develope 'drop eye' starve them twice a week. . . a healthy arowana is a hungry one.

Nikko112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Long Island
Vincentii.. perfectly said. although i have had bad experience with my aro when it came to dry foods, mostly fed live foods, changing the insects up and frozen worms worked good.

Vincentii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2009
London, U.K
Nikko112;3760881; said:
Vincentii.. perfectly said. although i have had bad experience with my aro when it came to dry foods, mostly fed live foods, changing the insects up and frozen worms worked good.

dry food is bad for them. thats when inexperienced fish keepers go wrong with them and over feed them on it. too much fat. i use to feed mine earthworms, live crickets and mussels and prawns. when he got to around 8'' i fed him only 4 days a week. got him hungry and work for hids food. arowanas get lazy and health issues start to develope.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Vincentii;3760862; said:
i got mine at 3'' ate hikari cichlid gold straight after i introduced it into the new tank. from experience with arowana'sthey arent fussy what they eat.at that size feed it 2-3 times a day in small quantities and dont overfeed too many dry food as they are prone to get fatty deposists behind their eye's and develope 'drop eye' starve them twice a week. . . a healthy arowana is a hungry one.
what proof is there?
Vincentii;3760913; said:
dry food is bad for them. thats when inexperienced fish keepers go wrong with them and over feed them on it. too much fat. i use to feed mine earthworms, live crickets and mussels and prawns. when he got to around 8'' i fed him only 4 days a week. got him hungry and work for hids food. arowanas get lazy and health issues start to develope.
Where did you hear this? You're basically saying the number 1 recommended food, pellets, is bad for them?

tigrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
jamaica
ok so ill start to feed him 2-3 times daily till he gets bigger. can i ever feed him any massivore pellets or carnivore?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Gshock;3760960; said:
what proof is there?

Where did you hear this? You're basically saying the number 1 recommended food, pellets, is bad for them?
I would also like to see the info on this.

Gotta be careful though, soon some idiots will be posting how this is not a DE thread:screwy::ROFL:

Vincentii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2009
London, U.K
didnt hear it. just from experience.because ive been bought up with arowana's. dad had them.my uncles and cousins.
its also a fact that when you over feed pellets to silver arowana's that they get drop eye later on in life (that and over feeding).
theres probably threads on mfk posted bt experienced arowana enthusiasts that say the same thing.

pellets are okay as a staple. just dont over feed them on the stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store