New spider

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Sweet, not trying to hijack your thread man. Definitely post more picks as your red knee molts and matures.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Brings me back to my days of tarantulas had over 100 and b smithi's were always one of my favorites and they look amazing as adults!!
Girlfriend doesn't approve of T's though lol
But she like my fish so that's all that matters

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Kirby, you're not hijacking my thread. I'll post pics!

Matt, that's a lot of spiders! My wife didn't mind fish but hated tarantulas. Now my little apartment will accommodate Ts but not fish, so I've switched hobbies. Kinda the opposite of your situation :)

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Kirby, you're not hijacking my thread. I'll post pics!

Matt, that's a lot of spiders! My wife didn't mind fish but hated tarantulas. Now my little apartment will accommodate Ts but not fish, so I've switched hobbies. Kinda the opposite of your situation :)

Well she dealt with it but didn't like the idea of it and she was always worried about me getting tagged by one of my old worlds which made up about 85 percent of my collection (mostly pokies) so I decided for her I'd let them go and she was happy about that but she told me I could keep them when I told her I was going to sell them for her and I didn't have to sell them but I did for her which made her happy but if I was in the situation like you and didn't have room to have my big tank I'd probably go back to T's and she would have to deal put I don't think my collection would be so extensive and I would just focus on certain species and breed them !!

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
I would see all of mine eat but I configured they're enclosures so they could hide but I could always see them this way the feel secure but I can still enjoy them and it doesn't surprise me yours jumped right on the cricket my smithi was always a fantastic eater but nothing compared to my poecilotheria

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
I have my Avic in kinda a big enclosure. 12x12x18. So she hides well, and I don't tong feed her. I just toss the cricket in, and it disappears overnight.

I tried to tong feed the new guy a meal worm last night and a meal worm today, but it wasn't interested at all. Tried my luck with a cricket, and he pounced. I think it's probably never had a meal worm. I asked for them when I bought the smithi, and the guy working there told me Tarantulas don't eat meal worms. Lol. Right after that, he opened up the lid and directly sprayed water on the smithi several times.

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Yeah usually I kept mine in smallest enclosures possible to save space due to how many I had and as for tong feeding its okay for what you have but if you venture to old worlds dont do it lol cause certain old worlds will ignore the food your trying to give them and shot up the tongs and make you pay for it !!!! I had a versicolor do it to me which isn't old world but I'm glad it wasn't lol and trust me you can't even believe how fast they will make it up the tongs and she smoked me right were my for arm meets my hand
That was the last time I tong feed a T!!! I always just tossed it at them after that or tossed it in they're web were the tunnel began and they'd always meet it right at the beginning of the funnel

It's amazing how lightning fast some of the little buggers I kept were !

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
I only plan on extending this hobby, so I will probably venture to OW, so thanks for the advice!

My avics enclosure has a front opening door, and her tube web is located at a back corner, so I can't just drop a cricket from the tube onto her web. But I guess I could try it with tongs. I don't want her to rush up and bite my wrist though! I doubt she would.

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
I only plan on extending this hobby, so I will probably venture to OW, so thanks for the advice!

My avics enclosure has a front opening door, and her tube web is located at a back corner, so I can't just drop a cricket from the tube onto her web. But I guess I could try it with tongs. I don't want her to rush up and bite my wrist though! I doubt she would.

I doubt she would bit you like you said avics are usually pretty docile my avic avic was a sweetheart my avic versi just had a attitude to her for whatever reason and she definitely showed me the hate side of a love hate relationship lol
If you have any questions feel free to pm me but I will continue to follow this thread!!
I still love T's just for now am going to stay with out them!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store