New spotted gar.

swayamsd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hey guys, new to MKF. Want some help... i got a spotted gar 2 days ago. After going into the tank, after 5-10 minutes he started rubbing his nose sideways and up and down motion. He does not do it all the time but sometimes. His nose is little white not red, is it his colour or because of the ruubing against the glass? Whatshould i do to prevent it. My LFS instructed me to put salt raise the temp and add anti-ich medicine, and i did. It worked but little. Any help is appreciated. Pics of the nose is attached. Thank you.tapatalk_1434431230222.jpegView attachment 1125927View attachment 1125927

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
His nose looks beat, he prob got startled and hit it, have to be carful when approaching them they can ram the tank and break their necks easily, as for tht wound keep applying salt and maybe some stress coat. Also what is he eating? Feed him good nutritional foods like crickets to speed the healing process

Reactions: swayamsd

swayamsd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Thank you joe he is currently eating feeder mollies and how much salt to add and how often. Thank you very much. I do not have a stresscoat currently but i will buy one.

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Ok teaspoon per 5 gallons and get him off live feeders their no good get him on anything but feeders it's addictive to them, you will soon find out tht ur gar will only eat tht and nothing else when u get the chance get bloodworms, brine shrimp, and some foods from hikari like massivore

swayamsd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Ok but he won't accept dead foods. I first tried dead foods when he did not eat them, i introduced live food. My temp is 82.4 degree farheheit or 28 degree celcius. And i will keep trying to feed him dead foods.

swayamsd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
I noticed a thing Joe, when the lights and the filter goes off. He does not rubs his nose much compared to the time when lights and the filter are on. Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store