New substrate

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I'm looking at completely redoing my tank and was wondering A) will I be losing any important bacteria that I will need to be aware of/that I will need to compensate for in some way (and if so, how)? And B) does anyone have any recommendations. Looking to bring out color as well as something easy to keep clean and keep fish healthy (I have Jack Dempsey cichlids, EBJD, paratilopia bleekeri and green terror)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
should not hurt your tank cycle any long as you have good filtration to start with. I ran black ceramic gravel with my JD. good vacuum once a week keeps it clean. is rather dim, but like my tanks on the dim side when I do turn on the lights.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If you only use your substrate for filtration (e.g., an UGF, a reverse UGF) then yes you would have a problem. If however you use a canister, sponge, box, wet dry, sump, etc. you will be fine.

You will lose some BB from the substrate however and the fish may be a little perturbed, so afterwards just feed less than normal for a few days to let the tank BB begin to expand it's population.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Feed lightly. Check. While I know darker substrate will bring out my jacks colors, I'm afraid just standard black gravel will make my tank look too childish, or rather, not "natural". I really love a realistic look in my tank, like it was a section of a river or a lake. Sadly I think mud would have far too many problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Substrate****

I've never heard anyone describe the look of black substrate as "childish" before, but to each his own. I can see how it isn't the most natural looking option, but as far as bringing out color, darker is generally going to be better. I have seen a few aquariums with dark brown quartz sand; maybe you could look into going that route...

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Childish isn't the right word I agree. I've known people to like particular brands of substrate for their fish. I'll look into the quartz

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Just try to refrain from this:

ATTACH=full1127795/ATTACH

That color selection should only be seen in:

ATTACH=full1127796/ATTACH
But you have to admit, it does look excellent in a 10 gallon tank with goldfish, oscars, and assorted African cichlids....

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
But you have to admit, it does look excellent in a 10 gallon tank with goldfish, oscars, and assorted African cichlids....
It only looks good in s bowl with milk :)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I call that clown puke gravel, thank spell check for substrata.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store