New sump now fish are sick!

Grover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I no longer have the tube I used as I tossed it out after I used it up. It was a new tube and very common at the Home Depot here in Alberta, Canada.
Thanks all for your concern but my last 2 Cubans died this morning. I think just as well as I think they would have had some permanent damage after the poisoning.
I really did learn something from this and will take more time the next time and not rush getting newly built items into service. You are right Skillzizzo, should have just waited a few more days and might not have had this problem at all. I think the silicone probably would have been ok if it had cured for a longer period of time. Even though the directions said 48 hours is all that is needed for curing. Maybe for other applications but not ok for aquariums.

Thanks again everybody for your feedback. Not sure how I kept fish before the internet!

makoshoemaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
San Francisco
I used GE 1 on my sump and had zero problems. I also used a plastic spatula to make sure my silicone went on thin, and to where it would still be functional. I also used acrylic so i wouldn't have to worry about having too much silicone to hold it up. Sorry to hear about your fish, but it seems like your cubans are on their way to a speedy recovery.

coryk33

Feeder Fish
Jun 18, 2017
You used ge silicone 2. This releases ammonia durring cure. Ge silicone 1 releases acetic acid (vinegar). Vinegar is harmless and bacteria will eat it, ammonia is harmful and bacteria will eat it too but fish will die if exsposed too long.

Hate to say it but an ammonia nuetralizer might have saved your fish like amquel.

Reactions: Jhay3513
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store