Sykosys000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys,

This is my first post here.

I am starting a 100 gallon tank which is 6' 18" 17"

I am going to eventually setup 5 Bala sharks and maybe a black knife ghost and an angelfish once the tank cycles. (The jury is still out on the ghost fish)

I have a question though, since balas like to swim back and forth alot and will grow pretty large I am wondering what type of deco should I use?

Drift wood with small plants? Caves (Well I need 1 for Knife)? Long tall Plants? Or should I set up large pieces of driftwood which almost help divide the tank but have places for the fishes to swim through?

Any advice is most helpfull

Thanks

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
one big piece of drift wood in the middle of the tank and sand substrate.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
haynchinook334;2232935; said:
one big piece of drift wood in the middle of the tank and sand substrate.
that's what I would probably do. I would definitely get a BGK (black ghost knife) and make sure the wood makes a good hiding place for it.

No disrespect or anything, but why an angelfish?

5 balas MIGHT be too many for that tank for life.

Sykosys000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
pwmin;2232961; said:
No disrespect or anything, but why an angelfish?

5 balas MIGHT be too many for that tank for life.
Thanks for all the replies everyone,

Well I figured an angelfish would add alot more variety and color, as for the balas I would be getting them when they are only 2-3 inches so I have plenty of time till they becomes huge. Considering its just them and 2 other fish I figured its ok. I read around and the general consensus with balas are long tanks. But I dont really have room for anything bigger than the one I am getting.

I have herd stories of balas in small 30 gal tanks which just horrify me but I figure a tank like mine would be at least long enough for them to swim around.

Also what filter would be best for this tank, over the side hang on or a huge sponge filter, or both?

again thanks

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
a canister filter fluval 405 and a AC110....would work.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
Sykosys000;2232976; said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone,

Well I figured an angelfish would add alot more variety and color, as for the balas I would be getting them when they are only 2-3 inches so I have plenty of time till they becomes huge. Considering its just them and 2 other fish I figured its ok. I read around and the general consensus with balas are long tanks. But I dont really have room for anything bigger than the one I am getting.

Also what filter would be best for this tank, over the side hang on or a huge sponge filter, or both?

again thanks
I just don't like angels, so you don't have to listen to me, lol, but there are plenty of other fish that would meet the criteria you just mentioned.

Yeah, you'll be fine with the balas. If it ends up being too many, you can always get rid of 1 or 2 later (way down the road).

an FX5 would be nice, but with a low stock like that, you will probably be okay with an XP3 and Penguin 350 (with different media) or AC110

Sykosys000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will take pics and upload when the tank is finished.

Hmmmm one last question

Any suggestion on plants? I was gonna use an amazon sword with some java ferns. Since this is my first tank this size any other plant suggestions would be good. Im not the greatest florist but am going for a nice natural habitat look

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Some java ferns would be nice on the driftwood. You can tie them on securely with some cotton thread and they will eventually root themselves to most driftwood and then spread along it. You could maybe also try some jungle val. It is normally a fairly hardy plant. I haven't that much luck with amazon swords personally, but I've only done successful low light planted tanks at this point

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I'd plant heavily near the back leaving an open space for the balas, and a nice piece of driftwood

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store