New Tank Question

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
I set my 600gallon freshwater tank up Sun 10/4/15, My Amm. Spiked to 0.081 I have a cont monitor on the tank Nitrites have stayed at 0 nitrates have been 0-5 I have a 24gallon a day drip on the tank. current stock 1 Arowana about 9 inches, 2 Jacks, and a full grown Rec Stingray. My Stingray is eatting great however the fish are only eatting a bit or 2 every few days. Any sugestions. Also once stable my husband realy want an eel is there any fresh water eels that would be compable with stingrays we plan to add 2 moto and maybe anther rec once the tank is stable.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
It sounds like you aren't new to the hobby and I don't mean any offense, but is it wise to cycle a tank with such delicate species? Or is this new tank pre-cycled?
If you pre-cycled the tank and then added the fish, you may just be experiencing a mini-cycle. When in doubt, flush it out....do a water change. The water wasted is small insurance to an ammonia issue...
Also, and no offence, again, it sounds like you know some stuff, how old is the test kit? I just went to buy one and the ammonia reagent was expired on a box on the shelf....
Just my $.02

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
I took all my filter media from my old tank and moved it and the fish at the same time. I hoped that would prevent a cycle. I know is not the best solution but the tank they where in got turned in the sump for this tank and that only left my 50g hospital tank and there was complication with set up and they all ended up in the 50g for like 2 weeks. So once water was in this one I thought rolling the dice seemed like the best option

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
My ammonia isn't really that high API master kit doesn't even read to positive until 0.25 my reading is 0.049 and peaked at 0.081

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
My automatic drip does a 24g a day which is a little over 20% a week any idea on how to get my fish to eat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store