New tank questions

confusedfishkeeper

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hi,

I just bought a new 55 gallon tank yesterday and I am very excited about this second tank. But I need advise on two things:

1) I have got two severums for the new tank - one turquoise and another red spotted. Any chance that they might breed in a small tank like this?

2) Seems I have made a blunder. I have bought a black ghost knife fish and an elephant nose for this tank. I had a tank when I was in school (given up after a few years) . At that time I had owned both (albeit not together) and loved them. When I saw them in the LFS, simply could not resist. But I read in the internet later they are not compatible. Please advise if they could exist together by any means.

I cannot put any of them in my african cichlid tank. It's a tough place and they will get bullied a lot.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hi C confusedfishkeeper ,
So you just bought a 55g tank yesterday and then put four fish in it right away? How was it cycled? I feel a 55g would work for awhile for a breeding pair of Severum. Once they get larger they would probably do better in a 75/90g to breed. I believe they get at least 8'. Do you have any pics of your setup?
Question #2 I will leave for more knowledgeable members to chime in on.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi C confusedfishkeeper ,
So you just bought a 55g tank yesterday and then put four fish in it right away? How was it cycled? I feel a 55g would work for awhile for a breeding pair of Severum. Once they get larger they would probably do better in a 75/90g to breed. I believe they get at least 8'. Do you have any pics of your setup?
Question #2 I will leave for more knowledgeable members to chime in on.
+1

I’m not sure on compatibility, but a bgk will outgrow a 55. Elephant nose would be happier in larger as well.
The severums may pair off if male and female, post pics and we can try to tell the genders. If they are the same gender there is a chance they will fight.

Reactions: Cich Mind
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store