new tank stocklist ideas

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
CTU2fan;2856031; said:
Xander do you like polypterus? A few nice polys would work good with the gar comm. I'd go for some big fat endli's personally.

I rather like cichlids myself, but they're not the greatest gar tankmates.
i thought he just got rid of some big endlis...but i could be mistaken. that and this thread was brought back from a while ago, so i'm not sure how relevant it is right now.

xander, let us know if you're still looking for input--
--solomon

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
xander;2314267; said:
well, the new tank is ordered, 5x3(wide)x2. and i need ideas for a stocklist.

the first fish in are 2 20inch cubans, and i have 3 spotteds being grown out, along with an orino(peacock bass). the reason im posting here is i want it to be a "gar tank"

anyways here're some of the ideas i've come up with so far.

1-cuban gars!
i've managed to source out 2 more 20inchers, should i just get them and squeeze the spotteds in, without any other fish? just 4xcubans and 3-4xspotteds. if i do this it'll just be white substrate with hanging branches. plus if i decide, african aro.

2 & 3-mixed community
in this case i'd go for a natural look, with some planted hard decor around the corners, plants in the ground and hanging branches. maybe one or two thick branches in the center to break up territory. no african aro as it'd destroy the plants

stocklist for 2 would be the 2 cubans, 3 spotteds, and basically the reason i would go for this idea over number 1 is i'd try for some tropical gar.

stocklist 3(not really a gar takn anymore, but it leaves me space to swap fish around in case i get bored) would be somewhat identical to two, but instead of tropical gar, i would go with orino bass/12" goliath atf(i know how bad an idea this is gonna be, this idea just keeps swimming around in my head), bowfin(if i manage to find one), and other primitive fish that i could get with the money i'd save on cubans/trops.
Dude let me know where you get your Cuban gars or Tropical gar. I want some too. Pm me please please please....

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Wow I had no idea, didn't even catch that this was an old thread. Oops.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;2856068; said:
i thought he just got rid of some big endlis...but i could be mistaken. that and this thread was brought back from a while ago, so i'm not sure how relevant it is right now.

xander, let us know if you're still looking for input--
--solomon
i did lol:grinno: but i'm growing some small ones out, attatchment kinda prevents me from selling them off:D

i was thinking of getting a new tankmate to spice things up, and what went through my mind were: rtg(asian) arowana, niger cat(mainly to sift the sand so algae doesn't grow), rays. but kind of decided to just stick with what i had and hold up for trops or something. was seriously considering the rtg till i decided that the tank might have gotten too crowded.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
King-eL;2856228; said:
Dude let me know where you get your Cuban gars or Tropical gar. I want some too. Pm me please please please....
i dont have tropical gar, you can contact mike from H20 aquatics about those. as for cubans, i got them locally, they are very very seldom exported from the farm they are bred in, so when they are for sale, jump on it!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
CTU2fan;2856031; said:
Xander do you like polypterus? A few nice polys would work good with the gar comm. I'd go for some big fat endli's personally.

I rather like cichlids myself, but they're not the greatest gar tankmates.
i do, and i'm growing out some small ones to prevent myself from selling them:D

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
xander;2857469; said:
i dont have tropical gar, you can contact mike from H20 aquatics about those. as for cubans, i got them locally, they are very very seldom exported from the farm they are bred in, so when they are for sale, jump on it!
Which farm? I know lots of fish farms in Asia but none have Cuban gars. Pm me the fish farm so I can contact them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store