New Thai silk Flowerhorn

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Hybridization/inbreeding, All of em. They were first hybridized and then inbred over multiple generations to get this color coverage.
FH is by definition a hybrid. But where did it acquire the electric blue gene? Other Electric blue in rams and acara breed true, so it doesn’t appear to be hybrid but more like line bred mutant.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
FH is by definition a hybrid. But where did it acquire the electric blue gene? Other Electric blue in rams and acara breed true, so it doesn’t appear to be hybrid but more like line bred mutant.
With FH's there really wasn't any need for hybridization as it itself is already a hybrid. As far as ik, the thai silk is a color variant of the common red dragon and electric blue is presumed to be a left over trait from one of their veija ancestors. As for the acaras that was hybridized with the green terror and then line bred for color coverage/size. Rams are a lil trickier to pinpoint where they got their electric blue from, I would assume the same sort of situation with the acaras happened with them as well where it was started with hybridizing a few closely related species and then just line bred afterwards.

Also just because an animal is a hybrid doesn't automatically make it infertile. That only happens when there is a mismatch set of chromosomes between the parents. Example: a horse has 21 chromosomes while a donkey only has 20 and since there is a difference in number they can make offspring but the offspring cannot do the same. The same cannot be said tho for animals that are closely related. For example: you can cross 2 different veija species together and still get fertile offspring since there isn't enough genetically separating the 2 species from each other.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Correct. It’s just a mutation that’s happened to show up in multiple species and hybrids and has since been linebred. Doesn’t mean they are all hybrids. There are mutations that many different fish share, even very unrelated species can have very similar/identical mutations show up. My personal belief is the EBJD, EBA, EBR are just genetic mutations from inbreeding. Silk Flowerhorn, obviously hybrization. No good enough reason for me to believe that is the case for the latter though, imo. And I say this because, to my knowledge, silk is not something that was originally bred for but a mutation that shows up in some FH spawns.

Last edited:

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
So that being said, to me, it’s highly unlikely that EB was purposely bred for in JD, Acara, Rams but something that showed up on its own, and there’s nothing else to really suggest that hybrization was apart of it or had to be apart of it. If there is, and someone really knows, then educate me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store