New the the forum; New to polyps

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Welcome to the forum. And I agree with most of the above. Bichirs can actually be notoriously opportunistic predators, and sometimes they can fit a bit more in their mouth than you might expect, but your sizes sound pretty compatible, and senegal bichirs in particular grow very slowly, so you won't likely have to worry about it outgrowing tankmates, either.

Reactions: stalefish83

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I pronounce it "biker" as well, but if I'm at an LFS I just say either poly or polypterus, if the place is any good they'll know where to send me lol.

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
Last night I saw my bicher nip at one of my discus' face. The discus was getting right up in his mug as they were both going for a piece of beef heart, and the bicher wasn't having it. It didn't cause any injury, but is certainly a bit of a concern.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Was it a bite and hold on then let go? Or was it more of a bite and immediately release? Either way if the discus was nose to nose going for beef heart I'm sure the bichir most likely bit it by accident. Unless of course the bichir bit it and held on for a long time.

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
It seemed more like a dog snapping at someone who was reaching for it's food. It wasn't a bite and hold, but it wasn't an accident either. The discus was coming in from above the bichir, who had the beefheart just below him. The bichir was looking up at the discus, and as the discus got right up close the bichir snapped at his nose. It was real fast. I think he was just defending his food, so hopefully sub-zero has learned his lesson not to mess with opie's dinner

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Welcome. You can upload pics directly onto this site without using a third party. Look right next to "post reply" where it says "upload a file."

I'm thinking about getting a few discus now that my finances aren't locked into a project. Discus or a datnoid and a pair of p-bass. Decisions, decisions.

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
I absolutely love these discus! They are perhaps a little too curious about the dino eel tho, and im a little concerned that the bichir will end up biting one a bit too hard just out of annoyance. I gotta keep a close eye on them.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
By the way, David Attenborough pronounces it Bih--shir. That's official enough to me. The man is a wildlife GOD.

I have kept senegalus for over nine years with a wide variety of fish, and have never had aggression issues out of them. I would be shocked if the behavior was anything other than an accident, as Dr. B suggested.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store