new to african cichlids

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
roadrunnermalwi;2582603; said:
dont use play sand use quickrete all purpose sand
I would stay away from the quickrete multipurpose. I tired it after seeing play sand was too fine and it's labled as medium corse. Even after washing it it's very messy. My small cutteri made a mess of the tank when they started digging in it. IMO it's worse then play sand (which also sucks) Go with pool filter sand or 3M.

Pittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
Or better yet go with Caribsea's aragonite sand its designed for them and if money is an issue than go with what danger chicken said less messy and a cleaner sand substrate

Personally i like the Caribsea live sand it looks like salt and pepper sand mixed together..

TheFanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
St. Louis
www.grillinfool.com
KILLERKOI;2618683; said:
hey whats up, im new to thes fish to just wondering if i could keep them with some comunity fish such as danios, silver dollors, tiger barbes and others??? it would be in a 55g, with lots of hiding places
I've kept tiger barbs with Daffodils and yellow labs when both were breeding....As they tend to stay towards the top of the water, are fast and have nasty temperments themselves towards each other they can hang with the fish mentioned so far in this thread....

Clown Loaches can hold their own as well...

sutherland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2009
Las Vegas
Aragonite, it's pricey but clean and contributes to the pH. (I will admit, rinsing was a pain...a few handfuls at a time.)

I have been using some Zebra Danios in my tank (hardy cycle fish) as dither/target fish. The cichlids are completely uninterested in them, instead it is the largest danio of the shoal that is nipping and picking off the smaller zebras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store