New to DIY Tanks

hoosier_cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
Hi all, I am relatively new to DIY Tanks. I am looking to start my first build for when I move this coming summer. My plans are 72x32x32 for a 320 gallon tank. I'm not new at all to building things, and have free access to an expert carpenter who will be helping me with the build. I guess my first question is I always see tanks with only front glass, not side glass as well. Does having a front view and two side views sacrifice structural support?? Does it cause the tank to fail?? Will it leak?? Any input would be great. It'll be housing some South American Cichlids. Thanks.

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
i have built several tanks with side glass along with the front glass. the biggest reason i have found is that people don't want to have the expense of adding the required glass or acrylic to add the extra windows. i looked at it as adding extra front windows to the sides. my first tank a 120, 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot, this tank was built with acrylic windows plywood and i used epoxy to seal the tank. this tank lasted for two years before it was torn down due to a house fire and a couple flaws that i did when i built the tank. my new 300 gallon tank 72x36x29 has two glass windows one on front and one side. this tank is built with a 2x4 frame with plywood lining the side, back, and bottom. this tank has been up and running for about 6 months now and knock on wood i have not had any problems yet. currently i am building a new 120 to replace my old 120. this will be glass and plywood and will have 3 windows front, and sides

hoosier_cichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Bloomington, Indiana
Awesome!! Thanks for your input. My grandfather is an expert furniture maker so I'm thinking I will do wood paneling and trim on the outside as well as two doors on the front so I can put a sump underneath for filtration. Try and make it look as professional as i can since it will be one of the first things anybody see's as they walk into my house. What would you recommend for sealing the inside? I see people mainly use either liquid rubber or the pond armor with fiber glass and aquarium sealant. Also, do you cut your acrylic, what I'll be using, to fit the entire side like for example the front is 72x32, would you cut a piece of acrylic 71x32 to fit flush in with the frame of the tank? Or do you cut it to fit just larger than the window?

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
i have used "max acr" epoxy and also "uscomposits" epoxy resins for my tanks. i also use at least one layer of 6 ounce fiberglass cloth to cover the major surfaces of the tank and an extra layer in the seams. then i add another 2 to 3 coats of resin to ensure a water tight seal.

as for the acrylic. i really did not like it. i had a lot of problems getting the tank to seal and also it is easily scratched. also silicone does not stick to it is acts more like a gasket and if the tank gets jarred when moving it the seals will pop and you will have a leak. as for size of the panels themselves i cut them to with in 1/4-1/2 inch of the sides of the tank this gives you a little maneuvering room. i just fill the gap with silicone. hope that helps.

do a lot of searching on this site there are a lot of good builds hear that will help you out. with a tank that tall you should look into external 2x4 bracing because a single sheet of 3/4 inch ply is not going to be strong enough. your tank should be framed like a house then lined with plywood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store