New-to-me tank. Reseal?

whatafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Take a look at the video to let me know if you think this tank needs to be resealed. I got it off craigslist for $30. Picture in the post says it holds water. These seals look pretty ugly, though. Kinda looks like someone just globbed a bunch of silicone everywhere. What do you guys think? Reseal the seams? Thanks for your help.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Take a look at the video to let me know if you think this tank needs to be resealed. I got it off craigslist for $30. Picture in the post says it holds water. These seals look pretty ugly, though. Kinda looks like someone just globbed a bunch of silicone everywhere. What do you guys think? Reseal the seams? Thanks for your help.

Did you fill test the aquarium? Tbh it does looks like a sloppy job.

whatafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Did you fill test the aquarium? Tbh it does looks like a sloppy job.
I did not test fill. After looking at it, I just assumed I should reseal. I'll test it, I guess. I know it's a "duh" kind of thing, but laziness has a hold on me!

whatafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Strip the whole aquarium as in even the silicone between the glass? That's more than I'm comfortable with. I was just talking about scraping the visible silicone and running a new bead along the seams.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Strip the whole aquarium as in even the silicone between the glass? That's more than I'm comfortable with. I was just talking about scraping the visible silicone and running a new bead along the seams.

When you run the bead don't leave any gaps. They have a tool to use at Home Depot or run along with your finger.

whatafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
To me that looks like what's already been done.
I agree. But it looks like they did a poor job doing it. Or it was just done a very long time ago. I just think I will clean it up a bit by scraping and redoing the seams. It's a 115 gallon tank for $30, so I wasn't expecting perfection. If all it needs is some seam work, I'm good with that.

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
resealing is easy I did my 75 a few months back. Having to do a complete rebuild is a job. You need to know 2 things. Did the tank sit outside in the cold? If so a complete rebuild is a must. I had a 300 split a seam after it was stored in the cold. #2 look at the joints for bubbles, if the tank seams are not showing major bubbles you may be ok with just a reseal

Reactions: whatafish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store