NEW TO PLECOS -- MY SET-UP & SOME STOCK

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
The first picture makes the tank look so big. How did you do the orange color? Did you paint the bottom or just stick something under the tank?
This tank was originally going to be a baby bichir growout tank, hence the red red bottom....... I painted the bottom with a DEEP RED but due to the lighting, it looks orangy which seems to make a nice contrast with the plecos. I'll take a pic of the exact paint I used and post tomorrow in case you want to use this color. Again, the color you see is going to change once the lighting hits it. I've had a few friends already switch to this color..... looks good with the blue background.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I hear ya! That's one thing I can't stand in any tank....poo on the bottom/flying all over the tank.... and yes big rocks will trap sooooo much of it, it becomes a nitrate factory.

Notice the pump on the bottom? It's a DC variable pump..... look at the nozzle (it's pointing downwards).... this picks up 90% of all the poo...... it goes into a bakki style container which has fine floss matts. I simply clean out the matts on a daily basis (takes 2-4mins tops)....... this serves two functions: 1.) no poo on the ebottom.... 2.) it prevents the MAIN filter to suck in the poo and foul the water........ by doing this I simply change water once a week with no problem and my water stays very clear throughout the week. I will take pics of the bakki style container and post tomorrow......very cool because you can add TONS of pathos to keep nitrites in check as well.

Also also notice there is very minimal contact of driftwood to the bottom of the tank..... this is so no detritus gets trapped under the wood...... your bottom driftwood pieces should have "legs" as to not lay down on the bottom.

During feeding I turn off the bottom pump and the powerheads (main filter stays on)..... I give them about 2 hours to eat/graze, after eating time, I turn the powerhead and pump on..... in about 10 mins, nothing is on the bottom..... everything moves towards where the pump is located.
Good info! Like you say minimal ground contact of décor certainly helps with plecs. Clean looking setup & nice selection of plecs. I think you got room for a few more

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Knowing me I will be adding more! So far, I have only taken pics as they come out during the day....... when I feed lots more plecos come out...... couple king galaxies L282, mango, spiny monster, Galaxy L007, sultan, buch of green and blue phantoms, rhino, flash pleco, 3-beacon, bushy nose, leopard frogs, and several others.....

Reactions: Jdreal21

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
Looks like you put some thought into this...lol. One suggestion, If you can conceal the pump sitting on the bottom and the hose going up it would improve the appearance. Maybe hide the pump further back under the wood and have a longer nozzle extending out and the hose come up from the back of the tank. It just looks out of place. But overall Great job!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store