New to Rays Looking for help

FakedBubbles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Hey ,

I am hoping to start keeping fw rays and just had a couple of questions.
I have read about the tank requirements and have purchased a tank that I'm hoping is suitable for at least a while.
The tank is a 150 US Gallon but the tank dimensions are 96 x 30 x 13. (Inches) (Frag Tank) (Shallow, Large Footprint)

I have read that rays benefit more from footprint than depth but have also read that they require a tank of at least 30 in depth (as in height of the water). I went to the lfs and they told me that it would be a great tank for the rays (they have two motoro for sale). So just getting a little bit of mixed info.

Just hoping that someone can fill me in on whether the tank would be a good start for the rays (I intend on purchasing pup(s)) as well as how long i can expect to have them in this tank before upgrading if needed?

Also I was wondering what about stocking and if anyone has suggestions to which type of ray to get being my first that I intend to keep as well as if they are any other fish the I may keep them? I was originally thinking of arowana but did not plan to have such a shallow tank. Now I am not sure how well it would work out?

Next is filtration, the tank is drilled with (2) 2-inch overflows and was going to go with a sump for filtration and I plan on either getting some cheap glass or a used aquarium two build a sump and was wondering is anyone knows what type of sump I should build and the size that it should be? I was thinking between 40 - 60 gallon, but let me know if I am off.

Thanks in advance hoping to get it up and cycling soon.

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
. I have a 9.5'x4'x13" tank that I've breed many rays in. The lack of depth is not ideal but is doable. My tank has a lip around the top of the tank that keeps them from coming out of the tank onto the floor, this is very important ! So your tank could be ok for rays if it has a lip to keep them in. I would recommend you get a ray from a local hobbyist if you can for your first ray. Although I have bigger rays in mine I would recommend you upgrade your tank before any of your rays reach 12 inch disc size and then keep it as a pup tank !

Demon012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
uk
Good advise,, make sure that the rays you buy are eating properly on pellets and prawns e.t.c ,, as it is hard work getting them to feed on pellets and prawns,, you can tell if they are eating properly by the size of the base of there tail,, you don't want to be feeding them bloodworm for months while you try to get them to eat proper food

Reactions: oldfish

FakedBubbles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
As far as breeders go I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a reputable breeder I'm located in the GTA (toronto)

FakedBubbles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Sorry I was actually able to source se breeders through some old threads but thanks again for all the help everyone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store