New to salt. Stock ideas.

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
So I’ve been keeping freshwater since I was a small child (father bred angels, Uncle bred Oscars and before I was born, prize winning lionfish). Currently have over 2,000 gallons worth of FW tanks. I’ve never done salt water at all, but I’ve got a good grasp on equipment. Just clueless on stocking.

My fiancé has convinced me to make a reef tank. She’s in love with them and indifferent to my FW tanks unfortunately... as said above, I have all the equipment needed to keep some basic corals. I want to keep this tank simple. I want the vast majority of the stocking to be the corals, and a bunch of compatible inverts, maybe a few smaller fish (and 1 yellow tang, she insisted...)

There aren’t a ton of databases I’ve found for SW stocking as opposed to the tons of FW ones. Help me make a little coral ecosystem!

Tank is 120 gallons, 40 gallon sump with a protein skimmer and soon a refugium. Thanks in advance!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I’ve been keeping freshwater since I was a small child (father bred angels, Uncle bred Oscars and before I was born, prize winning lionfish). Currently have over 2,000 gallons worth of FW tanks. I’ve never done salt water at all, but I’ve got a good grasp on equipment. Just clueless on stocking.

My fiancé has convinced me to make a reef tank. She’s in love with them and indifferent to my FW tanks unfortunately... as said above, I have all the equipment needed to keep some basic corals. I want to keep this tank simple. I want the vast majority of the stocking to be the corals, and a bunch of compatible inverts, maybe a few smaller fish (and 1 yellow tang, she insisted...)

There aren’t a ton of databases I’ve found for SW stocking as opposed to the tons of FW ones. Help me make a little coral ecosystem!

Tank is 120 gallons, 40 gallon sump with a protein skimmer and soon a refugium. Thanks in advance!

I personally would do research on forums like Reef Central. I personally want you to succeed. Also YouTube will help.

Reactions: Supalah17

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Your very welcome
Keep us updated on the progress once you start.
I got a list of some corals and inverts from Reefcentral, and I’ve decided to use the 180 gallon tank I forgot was sitting empty in my utility room, just going to build another sump to up the filtration a bit. Still can’t get the registration to work, I need a new computer, I would probably have one if I didn’t keep buying aquariums lmao

Reactions: tlindsey

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
You will be much happier with the 180 for sure. I have a 75 and like that a lot. Easy to dose and all that, its sps dominant with a 55 sump and soon a 40 breeder frag tank on the same water. I've been on a few forums and think reef2reef is the best by far.
Make sure you QT ALL fish that go in there. SW parasites are much harder than FW to get rid of. Get a 20 long to qt in. All meds I use are based on 10 or 20 gallon so it makes it easy math.

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
You will be much happier with the 180 for sure. I have a 75 and like that a lot. Easy to dose and all that, its sps dominant with a 55 sump and soon a 40 breeder frag tank on the same water. I've been on a few forums and think reef2reef is the best by far.
Make sure you QT ALL fish that go in there. SW parasites are much harder than FW to get rid of. Get a 20 long to qt in. All meds I use are based on 10 or 20 gallon so it makes it easy math.
My biggest issue right now is going to be finding a place in the basement to store the large container for WC. All my friends with SW tanks use a 55g plastic trash bin to pre mix their new water, but I have 4 kids and my basement space is dwindling by the day lol

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
WC arent really necessary. A good skimmer and fuge light is all the nutrient export you need. Then you can test and dose the rest of the elements. I haven't done a WC in months. I do one big one a year. Of around 60% or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store