new to saltwater

web2844

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Olympia, WA
my 30 gallon saltwater tank has been setup for about 2 months. I am starting to buildup a little red algea. How do I prevent aglea problems.

Morgs202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Australia
Generally algae problems are a sign of either too much light, a large build up of nutrients (common when cycling a new tank) or excess phosphate. Red algae is usually a sign of high nitrate levels. If this is the case, I have found small, frequent water changes are the way to go.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
SKIMMERS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THEN THE FILTERS!!! Not saying that the filter is not necssary but skimmers do HUGE IMPORTANTS for your tank. DO NOT skimp on your skimmer.

web2844

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Olympia, WA
Its a 30 gallon cube tank. I am running a small wet/dry with 11lbs of live rock. I have 2 clownfish, a wrasse, and 2 damsels. I am not an expert, but they seem to be getting along fine. I want to slowly add more live rock, increase lighting, get a skimmer, and start raising some corals.

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
siphon out as much as you can. Cyano bacteria can take over easy. Many things can start a cyano bloom, nutrients, lack of flow, wrong spectrum of lights, worn lamps. Best bet is to increase flow, and GET A PROTEIN SKIMMER. You'll thank everyone that says too. When you first see(and smell) what they remove, you will be glad you bought it.

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
Yes, it's more likely cyano bacteria (Not algae). It will usually cover your substrate and looks like silk draped over your substrate or what ever it is growing on. If your tank is too warm it will spread worse too. Keep your temp around 74 degrees and increase your flow. You should have at "least" 10 times the volume of your tank moving around per hour. So that means that you should have at "least" 300 gallons per hour moveing with all your equipment added together. You might want to add a small powerhead or two and place them at the bottom to help with the cyano.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store