New vatf

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I bet the Aro would have its work cut out for him trying to catch an Atf......

Can't wait to see how fast this thing grows..... Better keep us updated Kevin!!!!

You know, once you get some size on him it would be the perfect time to add a monster to the bottom...... ;) I was just going to start a thread on how much luck I've had lately with Wolves, Tigers, and Aros.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
A 16" Aro with a 5" ATF. Hmmm sounds like a potential meal there.
The aro looked at him funny at first since they often are in the same tank space but not even an attempted nibble. The tank actually has multiple fish smaller than the 5" vatf

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I bet the Aro would have its work cut out for him trying to catch an Atf......

Can't wait to see how fast this thing grows..... Better keep us updated Kevin!!!!

You know, once you get some size on him it would be the perfect time to add a monster to the bottom...... ;) I was just going to start a thread on how much luck I've had lately with Wolves, Tigers, and Aros.
I plan on tracking this guys growth and updating the best I can. It took 5 days but now he greedily eats his tilapia. A wolf is on the radar I just need for some fish to grow a bit first

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Well lemme know what species you're looking at, I'll gladly share some of the last few years of wolf experiments!!! I bet most would call me a liar in regards to the results, but I witness first hand that they are VERY capable of playing nice with a huge variety of tank mates.

Reactions: Jrp0405 and moe214

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
You're my go to wolf guy. I know they're not at the top of your list but I'm thinking gold. I really like their activity level.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
How far are you from Chicago Kevin? Maybe you could meet me? I could bring you my Gold Wolf and the Brycon......

I have a Lower Xingu Lac, an Australis, 2 Intermedius, 2 Aimara, 2 green eyed "lacs", 5 Iguazas and a Gold Wolf. Of all those wolves guess how many I've had problems with????

ONLY the Gold. And now that he's by himself he is absolutely no more active then any other wolf. Only reason mine was active to begin with was cause it was chasing my other fish biting tails and other fins. Started with 6. Ended up with 1. Now, ARE all golds mean? I'd guess no. I'd guess there are different species/sub species/locational variants.

I had the smaller Aimara (foot long) in a 360 with some other fish BUT NO wolves. Got a new Intermedius yesterday that is the same size, dropped him in and guess what happened? They've spent the last 24 hours side by side. Litterally touching each other. Fed them and after feeding right back to sitting next to each other.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I'm 5 hours from Chicago. I would love the brycon though and possibly the gold wolf but sounds like he has an attitude issue. Which wolves that you have are the most active and swim mid level? I think I should avoid one that hangs at the bottom with all my loaches.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Honestly I think it's all in how they're raised....... Mine all tend to chill on the bottom when I'm not around or in sight. Once they see me they hover thinking they're going to get fed.

IF I had to recommend a species I think E would back me on the "Iguaza" species (cf panara lacs) being a very personable wolf.

I'll have to get some vids and let you decide for yourself.

I have several of the "Iguazas". Maybe I could live without one IF you can't track one down....... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store