New vieja, ID please?

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
The fish you have are whats known a sp. coatzacoalcos and they appear to be two females.
Lee - are you basing this conclusion on the caudal fin having just a band of red at the tip rather than overall red as would be expected in zonatus? I've been thinking for a while now that the fish I purchased as zonatus is sp. coatzacoalcos as well. Would you agree?

2012 10_06 copy.JPG

nutty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Lee - are you basing this conclusion on the caudal fin having just a band of red at the tip rather than overall red as would be expected in zonatus? I've been thinking for a while now that the fish I purchased as zonatus is sp. coatzacoalcos as well. Would you agree?
To be honest, all three fish need further studies to conclude if they are indeed separate species or just regional variations. While sp. coatzacoalcoas can display thinner red caudal band, other regional populations can display a thicker band. Paratheraps sp. coatzacoalcos are highly variable, which is interesting considering the short distribution range.

I have a hard time excepting current aquarium populations of guttulatus as they all said to originate from either Rio Sarabia and Rio Manzanita which are all part of the Coatzacoalcos basin. As you know P. guttulatus was originaly described from Lake Amatitlan Guatamala, quite a distance from Rio Coatzacoalcos.

The big question is- are they all the same fish? If they are then the name zonatus would no longer be valid as it would then become a junior synonym of guttulatus, many consider this a viable possibility.

With respect Günther's original guttulatus description is very loosely based and not much information since has come forward regarding Paratheraps forms from Pacific side Guatemala? Are guttulatus and zonatus the same? Perhaps, my gut feeling is that zonatus and sp. coatzacoalcos are the same fish at least?

Lee.

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
To be honest, all three fish need further studies to conclude if they are indeed separate species or just regional variations. While sp. coatzacoalcoas can display thinner red caudal band, other regional populations can display a thicker band. Paratheraps sp. coatzacoalcos are highly variable, which is interesting considering the short distribution range.

I have a hard time excepting current aquarium populations of guttulatus as they all said to originate from either Rio Sarabia and Rio Manzanita which are all part of the Coatzacoalcos basin. As you know P. guttulatus was originaly described from Lake Amatitlan Guatamala, quite a distance from Rio Coatzacoalcos.

The big question is- are they all the same fish? If they are then the name zonatus would no longer be valid as it would then become a junior synonym of guttulatus, many consider this a viable possibility.

With respect Günther's original guttulatus description is very loosely based and not much information since has come forward regarding Paratheraps forms from Pacific side Guatemala? Are guttulatus and zonatus the same? Perhaps, my gut feeling is that zonatus and sp. coatzacoalcos are the same fish at least?

Lee.
What you've said makes a lot of sense. The lack of clarity regarding the identity and validity of guttulatus is a big problem, and more broadly, the entire group needs careful study to establish whether distinct species exist. For now I'm comfortable assuming that fish originating from the eastern drainage areas are in the zonatus complex, which may include sp. coatzacoalcos.

Incidentally, the fish I posted above came from Cichlids of the Americas. I recently purchased some P. zonatus 'Rio Jaltepec' from Jeff Rapps, and these individuals show more uniform red on the tail. Don't know the origin of the COA fish, but I'm guessing it comes from the Atlantic side as well.

Thanks for your response.
- Ian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store