Newb here. whats a good fish for me?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
it depends on what type of fish you're looking for...
damsels are kind of just a** holes... i don't remember the swearing rules so hopefully i don't get written up for that... but they just nip at everything kind of like freshwater barbs... they don't really eat smaller fish..and they don't get huge...but they just kind of suck.
chromis are omnivores....but they are REALLY peaceful and this is normally what people tend or should start up with ...they are hardy and more peaceful than most reef safe fish...if you did plan on adding corals ever...

a 40 is really too small for any type of angel/trigger combo/setup.

frogs may be ugly, but they are ambush preds and can live in small spaces...
a snowflake eel needs a little bit bigger than a 40 gallon, so if you can rehome him in the future to a 75 or so... that wouldn't be a bad starter pred...
groupers get huge so thats a no..
hawkfish and dwarf hawks might not be a bad choice...not super aggressive, but they are carnivores.
lions need way bigger tanks
dwarf lions will also need more territory so i would stray away...

mostly for predator tanks you need at the very bare minimum a 55 gallon and even that is starting to push it ... i would recommend a 75-90 gallon tank...
Thank you so much for the information! I have a 75 gallon as well. Though I might just buy a nice Reef ready tank definitely will figure something out. Prob a small 90 gallon and do an eel or carnivore tank. I'll feed searobins and pellets

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Those pesky sea robins, I under stand your point as I go fishing here all the time. Why not a baby flounder? Lol jk they get pretty big.

Im not a 100 percent sure but maybe you can get away with a fuzzy dwarf lion fish..

Last but not least... how are sea robins? Lol i catch a ton of them but never decided to eat them
Btw, I do eat skates too

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Defintly will try. Sea robin, woukd defintly consider keeping one in a tank if i had a big enough tank...they look pretty incredible. I heard skates taste like calamari however i fish in eastchesterbay and dont think thier are skates here.

Also try to avoid premade tank set ups suchs as red sea max...way over price...talkening a few gs over lol.
you could defintly set up a great looking reef for under 1g in a 75 gallon tank excluding fish n rocks.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
If you do a 75 or 90 you can get a snowflake eel. Did you every concider keeping a sea robin? They look pretty good in a tank, unique, a predatory fish and free. You can also collect their natural food source. I am not sure about in NJ,but on Long Island I just scrape the wall of the dock in the cannals and I will get several shrimp and a crab.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
If you do a 75 or 90 you can get a snowflake eel. Did you every concider keeping a sea robin? They look pretty good in a tank, unique, a predatory fish and free. You can also collect their natural food source. I am not sure about in NJ,but on Long Island I just scrape the wall of the dock in the cannals and I will get several shrimp and a crab.
Lol no thanks haha I don't even like searobins personally. And I don't think they are reef fish anyways.. But thanks for the idea. As for the eel.. I'll prob feed it sea robin lol

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
Before you make your mind on something, I'd suggest considering a sperm whale. Jk, but I'd recommend a toby puffer like a leopard puff (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+39+2909&pcatid=2909) or something like a valentini. But if you want a true psychotic killer, invest your time into the mantis shrimp. I love them, but I dont have one because I only have one tank, and I'm sure the mantis would kill everything. Eels are nice but if you have a 90 I'd go with a trigger..... oh or if you want just a one fish in your 75 look no further than the undulated trigger; the bastard of the oceans. They will kill for fun and will kill everything and anything. They'll also bite through heater cords, powerhead cords and chew rock up.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Before you make your mind on something, I'd suggest considering a sperm whale. Jk, but I'd recommend a toby puffer like a leopard puff (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+39+2909&pcatid=2909) or something like a valentini. But if you want a true psychotic killer, invest your time into the mantis shrimp. I love them, but I dont have one because I only have one tank, and I'm sure the mantis would kill everything. Eels are nice but if you have a 90 I'd go with a trigger..... oh or if you want just a one fish in your 75 look no further than the undulated trigger; the bastard of the oceans. They will kill for fun and will kill everything and anything. They'll also bite through heater cords, powerhead cords and chew rock up.
When I meant by predatory fish I didn't mean a physco killer. But I will take then in mind! I am gonna steer away from the mantis shrimp though. I heard they break tanks. Lol and having Asian parents.. Having a giant shrimp/lobster/prawn in your house is like having a far kid hold ice cream watching it melt on their fingers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store