Newb to freshwater plants.

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
Im lookin to start a 10 gallon planted tank and I am a total newbie when it comes to freshwater plants. I have kept saltwater plants before but never freshwater. A little help to get me started?

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
You need C02. I did a DIY C02 with a soda bottle, 4 cups warm water, 1/4 tsp of yeast, and 2 cups sugar. I did that last night. Then you need a strong light. (I dont have one but I am going to buy one soon) I dont know anything other then that.

Oh yea!

Some people use plant substrates.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
AnDr3w;833562;833562 said:
You need C02. I did a DIY C02 with a soda bottle, 4 cups warm water, 1/4 tsp of yeast, and 2 cups sugar. I did that last night. Then you need a strong light. (I dont have one but I am going to buy one soon) I dont know anything other then that.

Oh yea!

Some people use plant substrates.

You don't need to inject co2 for many plants. A strong light is not necessarily correct, rather a light in the right spectrum, and with enough watts for the plant you have. A good plant substrate or good ferts is more important than either injecting co2, or a strong plant light.

Read the stickies, there is one up there specifically for this question. Read the thread, and then narrrow down your question from the broad "how do I set up a planted tank?" to specific questions.

C J Castle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
US
I think that a Plant Substrate, moderately good lighting (for a 10G, nothing less than a 11W light, and thats classified as low light...) I think CO2 is important (though you can always use Seachem Flourish Excel so that the tank contains a source of CO2...) Ferts aren't (IMO) very important in a low light, no CO2 tank, but in high-light setups (with lots of plants) it is necessary to dose Micro nutrients (trace) and Macro nutrients (Pottasium, Phosphate and Nitrate, but is the water your using if high in both Nitrates and phosphates then you do not need to dose the tank with them...

Cheers

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
C J Castle;834904;834904 said:
I think that a Plant Substrate, moderately good lighting (for a 10G, nothing less than a 11W light, and thats classified as low light...) I think CO2 is important (though you can always use Seachem Flourish Excel so that the tank contains a source of CO2...) Ferts aren't (IMO) very important in a low light, no CO2 tank, but in high-light setups (with lots of plants) it is necessary to dose Micro nutrients (trace) and Macro nutrients (Pottasium, Phosphate and Nitrate, but is the water your using if high in both Nitrates and phosphates then you do not need to dose the tank with them...

Cheers
A few things. 1) Most low light plants do not need injected co2/excel. They can grow very well without it. They will grow better with co2, but they do not need it. 2) Lighting type is more important that the size of the bulb. For a small tank a standard T12 6700K lifeglo 2 is great for low-moderate lighting. 3) Plant substrate is a form of fertilizer, and is used to help have slow release nutrients in the water. 4) Nutrients are the most important part to plants. Without the proper nutrients for the specific plants you are keeping, they will all die. Without the nutrients, the plants can't grow, or sustain themselves. Ferts are necessary to keep all of your levels in optimum ranges to keep plants healthy, and happy.

HunterX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2007
Minnetonka, MN
Make sure you put enough plants in it or you will get algae problems . More is better.

hewer_07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2007
kansas
what i have learned is to buy plants that catch ur eye and put them in and see how well they work. sounds stuped but worked for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store