NEWBIE COMIN THROUGH

flopping flamingos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Where Babies Are Made.
as disapointing as this sounds you will probably have to give an oscar away if you cant upgrade to anything over 125 gals otherwise it just doesnt give the 2 enough territory or space. you should buy tanks according to the adult size of the fish not the current size, however a 75 would be adequate for a single specimen.

SchauS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
canada
yah i think im gonna have to get rid of both of them and the 20 gallon tank, because i have gained more interest in my RBP and want to get a 35 gallon for him, even though he is only an inch and a half now i want to be prepared for when he gets bigger and not have to upgrade tanks in like 3 months, i was also wondering if any stores take the fish back

SchauS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
canada
benito1188;1747196; said:
im in the same process of looking for a bigger tank. i dont look for gallons, i check the measurements. since im also not really able to get a big tank cause of the space i have, im looking for the widest length my space can accomodate, and look for a tall tank. ex. you can get a 36x21ish which is a 40-50ish gal, or you can get a 36x29ish which is a 70. know what i mean?

and sand looks alot cooler
yah i agree, the sand does look very nice compared to gravel

SchauS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
canada
alright guys, i have my 50gallon tank on the way, it comes with
tank 38x18x18, magnum 350 pro filter, submersible heater, glasstop, flouresent polo light+ 50 pound torpedo sand

so im pretty stoked about that, but i was wondering if i could fit 2 piranhas in that tank or not.

alright heres my choice of fish i can put in it

5 inch red oscar
5 inch tiger oscar
2 inch jack dempsey
2 inch RBP

+ if i don't put the piranha in a have a 5 inch pleco to put in

tell me your opinion,

SchauS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
canada
also i was wondering if an elite 802 air pump with a large air putterouter thingy would be bad under the sand, my assumption is yes because the sand will cloud but im not 100% sure so please anwser me that too

scubado65

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2008
Madison, Wi
SchauS;1753781; said:
alright guys, i have my 50gallon tank on the way, it comes with
tank 38x18x18, magnum 350 pro filter, submersible heater, glasstop, flouresent polo light+ 50 pound torpedo sand

so im pretty stoked about that, but i was wondering if i could fit 2 piranhas in that tank or not.

alright heres my choice of fish i can put in it

5 inch red oscar
5 inch tiger oscar
2 inch jack dempsey
2 inch RBP

+ if i don't put the piranha in a have a 5 inch pleco to put in

tell me your opinion,
Here's my two cents worth. The oscars will outgrow the tank, even with just one. The jack dempsey may be ok, they don't get as big as the oscars. I don't know what the RBP is. I believe Piranha's are active swimmers and need a lot of room to move, so they to would out grow the tank.
As far as the sand goes, I wouldn't. Too small a particle and light. Fish will stir it up too easily and get into your filters. I knew someone that used a black 'sand' that's used for sandblasting. It's a little larger grain and looks really cool.
If you haven't gotten your filter yet, I highly recommend the Filstar XP3. The bottom chamber use pillow fiberfill. A bag of it about $1.50 at Walmart in the craft section, and will last several changes. The middle chamber I use four layers of the fine foam. At water change intervals, I remove the bottom one and put a new one on top. The top chamber use the Bio-Chem Zorb(don't use substitues, this stuff is great!) and a white micro filtration pad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store