NGT

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I have 4 tiger. Ngt.ntt and 2 indo
All 12 inch and bigger.
There is displaying behaviour but no fighting. No split fins or even lost scales.
Very very occasionally... they square uo like cichlids.. jaw open shaking side to side.

When I used to keep more tigers and smaller sizes ,the fighting for territory was noticable.

Not now though. Helps if they all have a corner to reside back to. A new 12 inch ngt I recently I got from.a member here... within 2 days pushed my ntt out of his corner... the ntt just went to the corner.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Doesn't it depend on the type of dat you have? If it's ST then yeah i can see how they want to live alone. But i have 3 big NTTs together (12", 10" and 9") and they're fine. I never had amy problems keeping big NTTs with other dats.
Thin bar are the most peaceful of all if it will work it will work with them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have 4 tiger. Ngt.ntt and 2 indo
All 12 inch and bigger.
There is displaying behaviour but no fighting. No split fins or even lost scales.
Very very occasionally... they square uo like cichlids.. jaw open shaking side to side.

When I used to keep more tigers and smaller sizes ,the fighting for territory was noticable.

Not now though. Helps if they all have a corner to reside back to. A new 12 inch ngt I recently I got from.a member here... within 2 days pushed my ntt out of his corner... the ntt just went to the corner.
At the momment maybe that NGt has only been in for 6 days give it time

So you have forced them to live together in a smaller space no they are big

You said it yourself when they was small they used to fight and chase when they had lots of space to fight over

It's like a aro comm less space less fights more space more fights

I learned a long time ago aros do better on there own and more recently so do tigers

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
At the momment maybe that NGt has only been in for 6 days give it time

So you have forced them to live together in a smaller space no they are big

You said it yourself when they was small they used to fight and chase when they had lots of space to fight over

It's like a aro comm less space less fights more space more fights

I learned a long time ago aros do better on there own and more recently so do tigers

Very true about the space you mention.
Also ricky has 3 big tigers and bigger tank than me and his tigers scrap alot more. Noticably

I couldnt resist the ngt to be honest. This is probably the 6th one ive had.. all got too aghressive before.. but none were kept with indos of the size I have now.

I'll be the first to admit.. if it doesnt work work this time round.

Good thing is its eating massivore.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Very true about the space you mention.
Also ricky has 3 big tigers and bigger tank than me and his tigers scrap alot more. Noticably

I couldnt resist the ngt to be honest. This is probably the 6th one ive had.. all got too aghressive before.. but none were kept with indos of the size I have now.

I'll be the first to admit.. if it doesnt work work this time round.

Good thing is its eating massivore.
There has been some beautiful ones for sale on the classified recently. I got this little one because I couldn't resist it when I saw it. It is day one of the starving period with no earthworms wish me well. I don't plan to go more than four weeks at a time without food

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I am a big believer in 1dat per tank myself. IME,1dat will eventually own the upper water column and therefore eat the most. This will lead him to out pace (growth) the others which eat some, but quickly dash for the corners..easily satisfied with a sparse amount. By not being able to gorge themselves (out of fear), this leads to slower growth rates over much time. This is why it doesn't work long term to me. Tough to notice when u look at these slow growing fish on a daily basis, but after 5years or so..it becomes very noticable through the pecking order. Not saying it can't work, def not the norm or anything i've witnessed esp when ST Or IT are involved

op..gd luck with your ngt..this thread makes me wonder how my 2ft ST would deal with a confident lil 4 or 5inch ngt. I don't know if he would quiver in the corners like a small NTT or IT would. Too expensive of a risk i think

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I am a big believer in 1dat per tank myself. IME,1dat will eventually own the upper water column and therefore eat the most. This will lead him to out pace (growth) the others which eat some, but quickly dash for the corners..easily satisfied with a sparse amount. By not being able to gorge themselves (out of fear), this leads to slower growth rates over much time. This is why it doesn't work long term to me. Tough to notice when u look at these slow growing fish on a daily basis, but after 5years or so..it becomes very noticable through the pecking order. Not saying it can't work, def not the norm or anything i've witnessed esp when ST Or IT are involved

op..gd luck with your ngt..this thread makes me wonder how my 2ft ST would deal with a confident lil 4 or 5inch ngt. I don't know if he would quiver in the corners like a small NTT or IT would. Too expensive of a risk i think
That's a very good point

Multi tigers in a tank will dash out grab a bit of food then dash back to its corner
1 tiger per tank will stand firm in the middle waiting for more so in theory they should grow faster when kept alone

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
That's a very good point

Multi tigers in a tank will dash out grab a bit of food then dash back to its corner
1 tiger per tank will stand firm in the middle waiting for more so in theory they should grow faster when kept alone

Definitely agree..

But can the same thoery be applied when a tiger come are all big. ??

My com is:
two indos 16-17 inch
Ngt 12 inch
Ntt 12 inch

All four get a very full feed everyday...I wouldnt say any eat less due to size difference. ..

Rich... the size ranges when you had multi tigers was big... 8 inch upto 2 ft... so like jc74 mentioned.... smaller ones dash out and get less food.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
There has been some beautiful ones for sale on the classified recently. I got this little one because I couldn't resist it when I saw it. It is day one of the starving period with no earthworms wish me well. I don't plan to go more than four weeks at a time without food
Good luck with this little guy... I kniw you know... but make sure hes nice and plump before the starve happens. Keep us updated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store