Nice cheap filters (info)

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I need to buy another filter for a new tank I'm setting up. It's a 40 gal breeder. Just wanted to ask you guys what filters you would recommend.

Looking for a good running, sturdy filter. In the $40 price range

-THANKS

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I would say spend a little more and get a SunSun 304B canister filter. It will easily filter your 40 and is very cheap for a canister. It also has a built in UV steralizer.

Reactions: PatrickMW36

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I would say spend a little more and get a SunSun 304B canister filter. It will easily filter your 40 and is very cheap for a canister. It also has a built in UV steralizer.
Hey I'm getting ready to order the ss 304b. How much filter media can fit in it? I was going to buy 1 gal of K1 media. will that be enough?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You said cheapest so I'm going to say sponge filters or Matten filters. In my fry tank I have three sponge filters and HOB. I have 30 fish that produce waste like no other and I'm tripled the rating for filtration.

Canisters are nice but I'd do sponge filters for a small tank like that

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
You said cheapest so I'm going to say sponge filters or Matten filters. In my fry tank I have three sponge filters and HOB. I have 30 fish that produce waste like no other and I'm tripled the rating for filtration.

Well I have plenty of filters for all my tanks. I thought I'd go with a canister to eventually put it in a larger tank.

Canisters are nice but I'd do sponge filters for a small tank like that

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Sunsun canister, fluval c series hob with wet/dry chamber, or a sponge.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Hey I'm getting ready to order the ss 304b. How much filter media can fit in it? I was going to buy 1 gal of K1 media. will that be enough?
K1 media is meant to be a fluidized media. You don't want to use it in a canister filter. You want something like ceramic rings. The 304B can hold quite a bit of media. At least 10lbs worth if you want to use the sponge prefilter and filter floss. If you want to go with all media then you can probably get close to 20lbs in it.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
K1 media is meant to be a fluidized media. You don't want to use it in a canister filter. You want something like ceramic rings. The 304B can hold quite a bit of media. At least 10lbs worth if you want to use the sponge prefilter and filter floss. If you want to go with all media then you can probably get close to 20lbs in it.

Okay I'm just now getting into canister filters I'll do some more research! Alright thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store