nice gar and bichirs for 155?

impeza1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2009
hanover, mn
Hey! I am a Gar fanatic so I personally say gars all the way!! they are a cheaper fish and they are fun to watch!! I have a true alligator gar and a spotted florida gar...my largest is about 22" and my other one is about 8" and they do well with the plecos I have in the tank and they don't bother any other fish that I put in the tank! and they only cost me about 2 bucks a week to feed which is cheaper then feeding my african tank! so gars all the way!! if anyone has any for sale Im in the market for another one!

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
impeza1;3635670; said:
Hey! I am a Gar fanatic so I personally say gars all the way!! they are a cheaper fish and they are fun to watch!! I have a true alligator gar and a spotted florida gar...my largest is about 22" and my other one is about 8" and they do well with the plecos I have in the tank and they don't bother any other fish that I put in the tank! and they only cost me about 2 bucks a week to feed which is cheaper then feeding my african tank! so gars all the way!! if anyone has any for sale Im in the market for another one!
what do you feed them?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
ok, few things to address.
one, drdonothing, plz do not come into a gar forum and suggest cichlids unless they do not have a proper sized tank. he asked for help with gar.
impreza, pleco are a no no with gar. ive done it so has many others. its a very dangerous combo that can turn deadly with hours. if ur pleco slime sucks and u dont catch in with a very very short time ur gar is pretty much screwed. its not an easy thing to fix.

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3636000; said:
ok, few things to address.
one, drdonothing, plz do not come into a gar forum and suggest cichlids unless they do not have a proper sized tank. he asked for help with gar.
impreza, pleco are a no no with gar. ive done it so has many others. its a very dangerous combo that can turn deadly with hours. if ur pleco slime sucks and u dont catch in with a very very short time ur gar is pretty much screwed. its not an easy thing to fix.
ive heard that alot. i'm not a big pleco fan by any means anyways so not planning on any pleco's for my tank right now i'm still thinking the same idea as before:

2x or 3x bichirs (between sen and delz .. 1 of each, 2 of the same, or 2 of one and 1 of the other) .. only going to put two in if i get something else that spend alot of time near the bottom.

as for gars: i think i have it down to florida or spotted. tropical is on my list too but if i can get a florida or spotted instead i will lean this way. not sure if i'm going to go with only 1x yet or throw a second one in there. all depends what else i decide to put in the tank.

and as for the cichlid comment. its alright ... i was asking more along the lines of the bichirs and gars but i still need stocking list ideas so open to anyone who wants to throw ideas out there.

DrDoNothing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Far Arden
Oh no, no more ideas. I think I offended leprosotic rhinosterus. Or leprotic something or other.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
its lepisosteus platyrincus, or if u would like lep or LP
just sayin check ur forum. now if he didnt have the proper sized tank then u can suggest cichlid.

DrDoNothing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Far Arden
Yeah, good point. I was just messing with you. I can get a bit zealous about cichlids, being a third generation cichlid guy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store