Nile Perch death:

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
I don’t have enough posts to post in other fish so please forgive me in advance:
Over the summer I bought a duo of Nile Perch from a buddy. They came in about 3”. Over the course of my time keeping them, one was putting on steady size while the other wouldn’t grow past 4”. I was still having trouble with the larger one picking on the other. I moved the smaller one to my garage gallery. He seemed a lot better, eating steady, but he developed an inflamed abdomen (I guess that’s what I would call it). I reached out to buddies who were much more seasoned than me in this hobby. He became malnourished. I moved him to a qt. Two days later he was dead. I don’t understand what happened. I personally think it’s something internal. Seller was feeding goldfish to them, so maybe he developed a slow internal parasite. Not sure what happened, but I did an autopsy and there was a lot of fluid coming out of his vent. Hopefully I’ll be getting a few more. It just never feels good to see a fish you love die, and it’s even worse when you don’t have an answer as to why.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store