Nile Perch discussion

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
I could have sworn that I posted that rant in a differant thread....
Maybe I'm having a senior moment and did post it here. If not...hmm....censorship?
Oh well.

As you can see my concern is the potential damage that these fish can do. I mean no disrespect to anyone that wants to keep them but most environmental disasters are the result of the innocent activities of well intentioned, experienced, intelligent, honourable people, who are willing to take the risk.
I have no doubt that these fish will become established in southern US waterways along with many other unwanted alien species, and perhaps all I'm doing is throwing a deck chair off the Titanic in raising the issue.

A good friend of mine and I were fishing in the St. Lawrence river west of Ogdensburgh in the early 90's. Doug was always a luckier fisherman than I and this day was no exception. He caught a fish on bass tackle that weighed in at 4lbs, that neither of us had ever seen before. After a week of research we found out that it was a juvenile Nile perch! There is no way that it could have survived a winter in that river and must have been either released or discharged in ballast water from an Egyptian freighter. We'll never know and neither of us ever caught another one.

My only hope is that there are enough people out there interested in keeping native fishes and that the collections are comprehensive enough that we dont loose our biodiversity before we really understanding what it is and how it all fits together.

Thanks for reading.....

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
I found this article on Nile Perch impact in Lake Victoria..

LAKE VICTORIA: Nile Perch
ambience: marimba, Tanzania

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine what it would be like trying to survive in your neighborhood if a pack of man-eating tigers were suddenly released there. Well, that's pretty close to what's happened to the fish in east Africa's Lake Victoria. I'm Jim Metzner, and this is the Pulse of the Planet, presented by the American Museum of Natural History.

"A major impact on the lake has been the introduction of species that don't come from the lake -- the introduction of exotic species. In particular, one fish has been introduced into Lake Victoria that has wrought havoc on the whole ecosystem, and that's the Nile Perch."

Melanie Stiassny chairs the American Museum of Natural History's Ichthyology Department. She tells us that the people who live near Lake Victoria -- the largest tropical lake in the world -- depend upon its fish as a source of food. Over the years, though, the lake has been over-fished, and to stock the lake, new species of fish, like the Nile Perch, were introduced without thought for the consequences.

"The Nile Perch has never naturally occurred in the lake. So, all of the other fishes and there are hundreds of species of fishes that once lived in Lake Victoria and were found nowhere else in the world. All of those fishes of Lake Victoria are not used to a big predator like the Nile Perch."

The voracious appetite of the Nile Perch, combined with overfishing all but eliminated the many species of fish that once thrived in Lake Victoria.

"The people that introduced the Nile Perch didn't introduce the Perch to be mean or wicked. They introduced the Perch because they thought it would be a good way of augmenting the fishery. What's happened in Lake Victoria really just points out if we don't really understand how a system's put together, we can have no idea what the effect of one of these introductions is going to be."

Source; http://www.pulseplanet.com/archive/Dec97/1513.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store