nitrate creep.. you guys should read this

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
You see variables in here are not constant so we can't say that in every 100g there's a 100ppm of nitrates my friend. :chillpill:
The variables favor having less of an effect on the concentration rather than more. 100ppm was used for simplicity, as stated, and the numbers used make no difference whatsoever. It's just easier to use 100 as an example when discussing percentages. No need to chill, I'm perfectly calm and said nothing to indicate otherwise.

Reactions: boldtogether

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
The variables favor having less of an effect on the concentration rather than more. 100ppm was used for simplicity, as stated, and the numbers used make no difference whatsoever. It's just easier to use 100 as an example when discussing percentages. No need to chill, I'm perfectly calm and said nothing to indicate otherwise.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
most on mfk do water changes on a schedule for convenience. This actually points out that a better method would be to simply do one when the tank goes above our desired level of nitrates. This of course requires daily testing, which is likely why we all did the scheduled water change in the first place. I wonder if they make sensors with digital readers for this kind of thing?

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
You see variables in here are not constant so we can't say that in every 100g there's a 100ppm of nitrates my friend. :chillpill:
hate to say it but your wrong. give us an example gallons/nitrates where changing 30% of the water wouldnt reduce the nitrates by 30%.

its like having x amount of red skittles. you change 30% of the red skittles to green skittles then you reduce the number of red skittles by 30%. doesnt matter if you have 10 or 7,000.

the only variable here would be the nitrates in the water that comes out of your tap, if any.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
This assumes the new water has 0 nitrates. Most tap water containes some nitrate so a 30% water change wouldn't necessarly reduce the nitrates by 30%. The % of reduction would depend on the amount of nitrates on the new water. Correct?

John M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Central New Jersey
I have a 75g with Malawi cichlids and use Vallisnaria and Anubias plus Purigen in one of my filters and keeps nitrates between 10-15ppm. Tomorrow will add more Valls and a few more anubias to get the nitrates down below 10.

John M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Central New Jersey
I've had no problems with them eating plants. I have Yellow labs, P. socolofi, P. saulosi, Julie Marlieri,
Iodotropheus sprengerae, P. flavus and synodontis petricola - dwarf.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store