Nls pellet size

Baggly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2012
Phoenix
I have mbuna. I tried the 2mm NLS once. Too messy. The fish will suck up as many as they can, then spit it out when they're mouth gets full, then try to eat it again, rinse/repeat. It really makes a mess. The 1mm just goes right in, no waste. And whatever the mbuna miss, the synos clean right up.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
This is a good thread as I am debating whether I should move up from 1mm NLS to larger size as my fish are growing up. I have a mixed size tank with fish ranging from 1 inch to 11 inch, and am currently feeding them with Hikari mini pellets and NLS 1 mm cichlid formula. The 1 mm are too tiny for the big fish, and I no longer need 1 mm pellets to feed the smallest fish as the big fish will pulverize the bigger Hikari pellets to some extent providing tiny bits for the smallest fish.

My questions are:

What size NLS pellets will be comparable to Hikari mini pellet size?
Will larger size pellets lead to greater pulverization?
Why is it that NLS cichlid formular come standard with only 1 mm and not bigger?
What brand of NLS larger pellets you choose to feed your big cichlid?
If you have fish as small as 1", I would just stick with 1mm.

mabirchell

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2012
East Texas
Thanks for all the input!! I've notices my fish have ummm built up a lot of waste in the last few days. This is day 3 feeding and I've seen a lot of red/orange poo all over the sand. Am I feeding to much? Also, the water has went from clear to an off yellow color sense I started feeding... I only feed a small pinch at a time and make sure all is eaten before I put more. Ill do this two or three times, once a day. I will say though after only a few days feeding the fish are coloring up already. Nice yellow and reds starting to come through.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thatbb6

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Orange County
The pellet is measured in diameter so 2mm is not 2x bigger than 1mm. Like everyone have said, stick with 1mm and you will be good.
As far as Hikari mini, they appear to be about 2.5mm. I had a bag of Hikari Gold mini and only fish at 5" or larger could swallow it comfortably.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I had an 11 inch L-25 pleco I used to feed 3.5 mm pellets to by NLS. He would eat 12-15 pellets a day but I fed al the tropheous he was in with the 1 mm pellet and some of them were 5 inches. They wouldn't touch the larger pellets..the pleco also chased the cichlids away from "his" 3.5 pellets. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store