Noisy FX5

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
When I looked inside the motor housing I did not see any wear marks on the impeller & the impeller and motor housing felt smooth. If it were a 100% sure thing that sand that caused the issue(i.e. rough or scratched up impeller) then I would replace it myself, but it's not. When I cleaned the impeller and motor housing no sand came out, sand only came out of the canister itself. It seems to be being noisy for no real reason that I can find, and this is why I bought one with a warranty so that if something ever did happen to it, I could get it fixed. Possible that it's sand, yes. However I'm not positive that is what's causing the problem, because everything in motor assembly looks and feels fine.
Hell, if I had the money I would just replace it myself as it would be easier and faster than dealing with customer service.

I do own up to my mistakes, I'm not one of those people you guys seem to think I am, however I'm not sure it was actually ME that caused the issue with the filter because, like I said, it all looks and feels normal, doesn't look damaged. And it ran just fine the same day AND the day after the sand was taken out, so I don't know what's going on with it, it only started having the problem a few days back.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
This is what I originally said happened to me I too did not find any issues with the housing so I tried impeller and shaft it did not work for me so I replaced the entire assembly. Maybe you will get lucky try the impeller and shaft. It just winds up costing you more if it doesnt work thats why I posted my experience trying to help you out I had the same argument you did 100 dollar part 250 dollar filter but in the end its a good filter so the repair is expensive but a solid one. Here are your options try a new impeller with shaft probably wont work, remove sand or raise the intake if you keep the sand it will probably happen again later, buy a new filter, or just spend the 100 bucks replace the whole impeller assembly. You have gotten solid advice here from other members with the same issue. So post up when its done so we can learn from your experience. :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
This is what I originally said happened to me I too did not find any issues with the housing so I tried impeller and shaft it did not work for me so I replaced the entire assembly. Maybe you will get lucky try the impeller and shaft. It just winds up costing you more if it doesnt work thats why I posted my experience trying to help you out I had the same argument you did 100 dollar part 250 dollar filter but in the end its a good filter so the repair is expensive but a solid one. Here are your options try a new impeller with shaft probably wont work, remove sand or raise the intake if you keep the sand it will probably happen again later, buy a new filter, or just spend the 100 bucks replace the whole impeller assembly. You have gotten solid advice here from other members with the same issue. So post up when its done so we can learn from your experience. :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thank you :)

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Is there anything else different with the filter since you moved to the new place, for example, media type or placement in the trays, aquarium on a different stand, etc.?

Any chance you can post a video of the filter in operation so we can hear the noise it is making?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I never meant to imply your dishonest or anything!

But from your first post to now is pretty different, at 1st you seemed certain your sand did the job and now it may or may not have.

My point is if you found that much sand inside the canister that means every grain rain thru the impeller 1st! Its obvious your impeller is off balance and rattling inside the motor housing. Even a tenth of a gram would throw the balance off, sand going thru a filter is basically sand paper so it not hard to figure this out!

Buy a new impeller assembly and that should fix it, lesson learned and like my 1st post I admitted to the same thing happening with my ac110 so absolutely no hard feelings!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
Deeda - I tried uploading a video but my Flickr won't let me for some reason. :(

F1 Vet - In my first post I didn't mean to sound as though I was positive sand did it, I wasn't. :) Sounds like it could be the issue but who knows for sure.

Fluval will let me send in my motor housing and they'll see what the problem is - yes, they were told about the possibility of sand. I made sure to mention it.
In the meantime I will run my spare AC110, but I obviously can't fit an FX5 worth of media in that thing & don't want it to be sitting out of water. So I want to put all of my media in some kind of mesh bag and place that directly below the AC110 in the tank, so that water is flowing over it. It won't look pretty sitting in there, but I have a heavy stockload so they need that media to be in the tank. It'll first be rinsed with tank water so it's not icky.
Any suggestions on what kind of mesh bag I could use? Would just one from walmart work or do I have to worry about chemicals or anything used in those

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Go get some cheesecloth and wrap the sponges in it. They have at the grocery store.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BCherdingthefish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
California, USA
...I guess another option would be to just put the entire media baskets as-is into the tank, minus a sponge or two + some biomax to go into the AC110. Just got the AC up and running, right now it's just pumping water, I'll put in some media when I take apart the FX5

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store