Noob red cherry shrimp breeding project

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
Dudes, someone on craigslist just posted blue pearl shrimp for $2 each...i need a bigger shrimp tank!! Speaking of which, I thought about converting my 30 gallon but that's just taller more that anything. 40 gallon breeder might be perfect?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If you want a more tropical species of shrimp there is also sulawesi shrimp you can also look into.. Although they prefer temps of around 28'C

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
Time for an update! Last time I checked in, I had just received my TINY 20 red cherry shrimp. Tank has gravel, penguin 100 filter, air bubbler, java moss, one decoration, and of course a light. There are also 12 ghost shrimp in the tank.

So, since last time, I bought a prefilter sponge made by Fluval that fit perfectly over my filter intake so now little larva or babies won't get sucked in. The ghost shrimp are big and mature, but there are no females berried with eggs :(
The red cherries are getting bigger fast, and are starting to color nicely. I feed them once every 3 days some crushed flake that I make sure sinks, or some sinking new life spectrum pellets that I semi crumble in my fingers. Check this guy out!

uploadfromtaptalk1331008363639.jpg

Kobarg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
FL
I think I might have to order my self some of these suckers my ghost shrimp just had a war with each other and all my big guys/gals were killed :(

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
Dude that sound fun to watch.

Chinggiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
Ca
So ghosts and cherries not a good mix?

I spent over a hour staring at my ghost, I could only imagine another species mixed in...

cyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2012
jurong
cherries and ghosts their sizes differ too much... and are you breeding cherry shrimps to feed rays?????? OMG :banhim: :D

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
Update: Adult ghost shrimp have not eaten any rcs, but there are two issues that have surprised me. One, the red cherries are really slow growing. Some have grown ok but most are still quite juvenile and I thought they be close to mature now, any thoughts? Second, I have not seen any berried females among the ghost shrimp, but there are only four out of the dozen still alive. They were mostly mature when I bought them so I guess it could be old age but mostly I think is just that ghost shrimp are born to die. I haven't lost any rcs. So it looks like the project has failed to breed ghost shrimp, and rcs breeding remains to be seem. Thanks for reading.

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
cherries and ghosts their sizes differ too much... and are you breeding cherry shrimps to feed rays?????? OMG :banhim: :D
Do cherries not get as big as ghosts? Im breeding (or trying to) because my rays love ghost shrimp and it's good sport for them, but it's much easier to breed rcs...or so I read.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
no, cherries do not get as big as ghosts... I heard the same about breeding ghosts. cherries will reproduce quickly though, but yours might just have to mature some more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store