Northfin sent fish food expiring in one month claiming it is safe to use after expiry?

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi everyone! I recently ordered some food from Northfin USA and had it shipped to where I live (Singapore) via a third party. Most of the food had acceptable expiry dates (2026, 2027) except for the Jumbo Fish Formula 6mm.

The expiry date (December 2023) was a little over a month away from the time of ordering (29 October 2023). I ordered 3 packets of 250g for the explicit purpose of keeping it as fresh as possible without having to import Watermelon's,my flowerhorn turned family pet, too often. When I ordered last year on the 2nd of November, the packet I received had an expiry date of October 2024.

I reached out to Northfin USA about this and this was their response:

"Thanks for reaching out! With dried foods that are sealed the food would still be fine to use past that date - as long as it is kept sealed and dry!"

What are your opinions on this? How do you think this will affect the safety and nutritional content of the food?

Screenshot_20231118_093833_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_093747_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_093440_Gmail.jpg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I would not be too concerned if the price is right. However, I would freeze much of it except a per short term use stock, and continue defrosting smallish portions as needed. Ideally you got a discounted price for being so close to expiration.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I’d ask for a refund
ditto

while the food would still be ok to feed, some nutrient loss will have occurred, and once opened and exposed to air, the risk of the fat going rancid becomes greater as time passes. Along with further nutrient loss. Especially in a hot/humid location such as Singapore. The right thing to do would be to refund for that container.

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I would not be too concerned if the price is right. However, I would freeze much of it except a per short term use stock, and continue defrosting smallish portions as needed. Ideally you got a discounted price for being so close to expiration.
I did get it at a discounted price, but not because it was so close to expiring. If they had advertised anywhere that it was a clearance sale for food that was soon to be expired, I would not have bought it. To me, that is as good as throwing money away since I will not be using expired food for my pets. I rather have bought it at full price with a reasonable expiry date.

There was a sale ongoing at the time I purchased it, the other bags of food came with expiry dates in 2026 and 2027.

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I’d ask for a refund
Thank you! I haven't had the time to reply but I am in the process of doing that. :) They have offered a partial refund but I am asking for a full refund since this is food that would they will likely have to throw away anyway. I have been involved in the ornamental fish industry for a few years and can say that from experience, unless it is sold at an extremely cheap price, no one is buying food that will expire in a month 😂

Oompaloompa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
ditto

while the food would still be ok to feed, some nutrient loss will have occurred, and once opened and exposed to air, the risk of the fat going rancid becomes greater as time passes. Along with further nutrient loss. Especially in a hot/humid location such as Singapore. The right thing to do would be to refund for that container.
Thank you for your answer! Whether or not I get a full refund, your answer has solidified my resolve in tossing 70 sgd worth of food. It's a huge blow to my bank account, but I rather do this than risk Watermelon getting sick. Guess I'll take it as a lesson learned and saving money in vet bills

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store