Nosferatu steindachneri

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
What conditions do they need, temperature range, food, etc. Very little about them available. Thanks for your time.
Nothing special really.

Temp 74-78
Gh - 3
Kh - 4
pH - 7.5

They are very conspecific aggressive so lots of robust tank mates is a plus.
Keeps them from focusing on each other.
In my experience these are absolute hogs at feeding time, so make sure not to overfeed.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This cichlid is rare in even nature, so quite a Coup d' etat for COTA.
Water temps in their natural habitat reach up to 82'F in summer and fall to 64'F in winter, and their breeding season begins in January, the water is mineral rich, and very clear (100 GH, and a ph of 7.8 and above)
They share habitat with the Nosferatu (Herichthys) labridens "white" group.
Steindachneri can easily reach 14 or 15" so the largest tank possible is needed.
Rivers they live in can often be over 150 feet wide.
This was one of my holy grail type, and they were never available to me, but I kept Nosferatu labridens type and I often turned off heaters in winter to mimic the seasonal fluctuations they might experience, to spur on spawning.

female starting to get spawning color below

another location variant below

female in spawning color below

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
This cichlid is rare in even nature, so quite a Coup d' etat for COTA.
Water temps in their natural habitat reach up to 82'F in summer and fall to 64'F in winter, and their breeding season begins in January, the water is mineral rich, and very clear (100 GH, and a ph of 7.8 and above)
They share habitat with the Nosferatu (Herichthys) labridens "white" group.
Steindachneri can easily reach 14 or 15" so the largest tank possible is needed.
Rivers they live in can often be over 150 feet wide.
This was one of my holy grail type, and they were never available to me, but I kept Nosferatu labridens type and I often turned off heaters in winter to mimic the seasonal fluctuations they might experience, to spur on spawning.

female starting to get spawning color below

another location variant below

female in spawning color below

Awesome duanes duanes

I recently rehome my group in trade for a group of Media Luna Labridens.

My Steindachneri went to a good friend so I'll still be able to see their progress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store