Not eating as much

Riftraft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2012
Upstate NY
To the OP, It's completely up to you on what you use, but 'clear' is an amazing med. I've never seen anything get rid of hex quicker. I personally have never tried clout, but I know first hand 'clear' works wonders.
I have also used metro an the Epsom salt solution which I highly recommend NOT using if your fish has had hex for a while and is not eating. Good luck bro. Keep us posted and maybe throw up a pic so we can see what you are dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ed - what exactly is "clear". Parasite Clear?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It used to be a Jungle product but was bought out by Tetra a couple of years ago. Same active ingredients - praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, acriflavine. Out of those only metronidazole will have any effect on spironucleus (hexamita). Prazi is for treating nematodes (worms), diflubenzuron kills flukes, and acriflavine is for preventing secondary infections. I've had luck with it in the past for treating spironucleus, but in your case that would not be my first choice due to how long this has been going on. I would be surprised if it was in fact even a case of spiro/hex.

Riftraft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2012
Upstate NY
Ed - what exactly is "clear". Parasite Clear?
'Clear' is a medication from veterinarians in Thailand. It is used to deworm and/or treat hex. It comes with a syringe and you inject it directly into the fishes stomach for treatment. Here is a link to better describe what I'm trying to and I will let Hai do all the talking lol.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJ8MC_xYQU

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I can't open the vid, but hexamita (Spironucleus) & "worms" are two entirely different things, that require completely different medications for successful treatment.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A great med? Really? What's in it?

I watched the vid, and quite frankly I'm at a loss as to why anyone would force a hypo down a fishes throat. WTF was he thinking? :screwy:

What one should be doing is adding a small soft tubing to the hypo, and gently sliding that down the fishes esophagus and into its stomach. No DVM in his right mind would administer a drug like that.

Secondly, as previously stated hexamita (Spironucleus) & "worms" are two entirely different things, that require completely different medications for successful treatment. That vid was titled "Deworming a Flowerhorn with Clear".
The person in the vid then goes on to describe (incorrectly) how to use that med for deworming, for hernias (?), and for hexamita. It sounds to me like a broad spectrum drug, just as CLOUT is, and while getting it directly into the fishes gut may be the most effective treatment for a fish with hexamita, the safety margin with an unknown drug from Bangkok that can somehow treat everything & anything in my books would be pretty much zero.

There are FAR easier, FAR less stressful to the fish, and overall FAR safer ways to deworm a fish - and you do NOT need to deworm a fish once a month as stated in that video.

Here's an article on how to deworm a fish by a real DVM, from the U of Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa091

As far as prolapsed rectums, which the person in the video was I think describing as hernias, I have successfully treated with a simple epsom salt bath. As far as that goes, there have been a number of people here on MFK that simply force fed their FH epsom soaked pellets for a few days & they recovered from a spironucleus infestation.
Here's an example of what I managed to do with a very sickly FH and epsom salts.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?436561-Red-Diamond-from-Zero-to-Hero

If the fish has a bacterial infection epsom salts isn't going to help, but on the other hand I think it's better to start safely than to simply cram a hypo full of god only knows what kind of mix of meds down into a fishes gut. Especially meds that come out of Thailand, where hormone laced food & fish medications are under almost zero scrutiny from the Govt.

Caveat Emptor

Riftraft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2012
Upstate NY
A great med? Really? What's in it?

I watched the vid, and quite frankly I'm at a loss as to why anyone would force a hypo down a fishes throat. WTF was he thinking? :screwy:

What one should be doing is adding a small soft tubing to the hypo, and gently sliding that down the fishes esophagus and into its stomach. No DVM in his right mind would administer a drug like that.

Secondly, as previously stated hexamita (Spironucleus) & "worms" are two entirely different things, that require completely different medications for successful treatment. That vid was titled "Deworming a Flowerhorn with Clear".
The person in the vid then goes on to describe (incorrectly) how to use that med for deworming, for hernias (?), and for hexamita. It sounds to me like a broad spectrum drug, just as CLOUT is, and while getting it directly into the fishes gut may be the most effective treatment for a fish with hexamita, the safety margin with an unknown drug from Bangkok that can somehow treat everything & anything in my books would be pretty much zero.

There are FAR easier, FAR less stressful to the fish, and overall FAR safer ways to deworm a fish - and you do NOT need to deworm a fish once a month as stated in that video.

Here's an article on how to deworm a fish by a real DVM, from the U of Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa091

As far as prolapsed rectums, which the person in the video was I think describing as hernias, I have successfully treated with a simple epsom salt bath. As far as that goes, there have been a number of people here on MFK that simply force fed their FH epsom soaked pellets for a few days & they recovered from a spironucleus infestation.
Here's an example of what I managed to do with a very sickly FH and epsom salts.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?436561-Red-Diamond-from-Zero-to-Hero

If the fish has a bacterial infection epsom salts isn't going to help, but on the other hand I think it's better to start safely than to simply cram a hypo full of god only knows what kind of mix of meds down into a fishes gut. Especially meds that come out of Thailand, where hormone laced food & fish medications are under almost zero scrutiny from the Govt.

Caveat Emptor
My apologies, It must have slipped my mind I was talking to the almighty RD from MFK. I use what I know works. I have tried your famous epsom salt solution and lost one fish and almost another, that is until I found 'clear'. I should also mention that I followed the directions for your epsom salt solution to a T and still lost her.

As far as cramming it down the fishes throat, I'm not sure what you mean. Nobody is cramming anything. You place into the fishes mouth and gently slide it in. When the are gasping for air, they end up just about sucking it down themselves while you gently coax it in. I don't think anyone who spends big money on a Flowerhorn wants to just cram a syringe down the fishes mouth and cause harm.

At the end of the day, your going to do what you do to heal your fish and I'm gonna do what I do. I have seen and heard of many people using this method and medication with no ill effects. Just because you don't condone, doesn't make it bad. You may not trust the Vets from Thailand, but I and many others do. These fish are obviously extremely prominent overseas compared to the states and I'm sure they are much more experienced in dealing with them than yourself.

Your full of knowledge, but you are also a very condescending person. It always seems like if its not your way, it's the highway and everybody else is in the wrong...hmmm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store