NTT datnoid inactivity?

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
my new NTT has been really inactive recently and hasn’t been eating, probably been a couple weeks since he’s been in the 350 but for the past week he’s just been hiding in the same corner. when we first got him he was pretty aggressive and occasionally nipped at the flagtail but now he kinda lays there in the sand all day, should i be worried? he looks like he’s in perfect condition. apologizes for the **** picture but he rarely gets out so i can’t get any better pictures.View attachment IMG_1585.jpegView attachment IMG_1581.jpeg

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
I wouldn't stress too bad. Is he eating? When I transfered mine it took him quite so time too get comfortable with the tank. He went from a 125 grow out too a 300 and it's quite a big jump so maybe someone else can chime in but they can be skiddish with new surroundings

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
I wouldn't stress too bad. Is he eating? When I transfered mine it took him quite so time too get comfortable with the tank. He went from a 125 grow out too a 300 and it's quite a big jump so maybe someone else can chime in but they can be skiddish with new surroundings
he’s not eating at all, have tried pellets and blood worms, though when he first came into the tank he ate my two bamboo shrimp and they were pretty big but as far as i know that’s all he’s eaten

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
he’s not eating at all, have tried pellets and blood worms, though when he first came into the tank he ate my two bamboo shrimp and they were pretty big but as far as i know that’s all he’s eaten
Have you tried shrimp? Mine can not resist shrimp

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
+1 for shrimp. Never known a dat that did not go for ghost shrimp.

Don't worry about inactivity, they hunt when it is dark.

Reactions: shern

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
+1 for shrimp. Never known a dat that did not go for ghost shrimp.

Don't worry about inactivity, they hunt when it is dark.
yeah this is true, i just came down stairs and he seems active at night, he ate all the neocardinia and bamboo shrimp originally in my tank so that might work, problem is that there’s gonna be a tigrinus in the tank and they are allergic to thymanine ( dunno if i spelt that right) found in shrimp so im trying to ween him off

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
yeah this is true, i just came down stairs and he seems active at night, he ate all the neocardinia and bamboo shrimp originally in my tank so that might work, problem is that there’s gonna be a tigrinus in the tank and they are allergic to thymanine ( dunno if i spelt that right) found in shrimp so im trying to ween him off
Yes, prawns have thiaminase, and dats seem to have a high tolerance to it.

Can you get tilapia fry? They are low in Thiaminase. NTT being wild caught, sometimes only go for live food.

I treat my tilapia fry with levamisole for twenty four hours before feeding.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Yes, prawns have thiaminase, and dats seem to have a high tolerance to it.

Can you get tilapia fry? They are low in Thiaminase. NTT being wild caught, sometimes only go for live food.

I treat my tilapia fry with levamisole for twenty four hours before feeding.
im afraid of the tigrinus catching one, not the NTT, i have no clue if my locals or my vendors have tilapia fry, is there any other solution? I currently only treat with vitachem for my foods

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
im afraid of the tigrinus catching one, not the NTT, i have no clue if my locals or my vendors have tilapia fry, is there any other solution? I currently only treat with vitachem for my foods
Generally, any river fish fry. If you can get any.

You could try some live bearers. In the long run I would not recommend them, but they will do temporarily. I have previously fed guppies to dats.

I am not actually sure that the occasional prawn would be bad for your tigrinus, so long as it was not the main food source.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store