NTT datnoid inactivity?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
yeah this is true, i just came down stairs and he seems active at night, he ate all the neocardinia and bamboo shrimp originally in my tank so that might work, problem is that there’s gonna be a tigrinus in the tank and they are allergic to thymanine ( dunno if i spelt that right) found in shrimp so im trying to ween him off
Who told you tigrinus were allergic to thiaminase? I have never heard of that before. Doesn’t seem to be true, no? Most seafoods contain thiaminase and if what you were saying is true, you basically are unable to feed tigrinus any frozen foods anymore.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Who told you tigrinus were allergic to thiaminase? I have never heard of that before. Doesn’t seem to be true, no? Most seafoods contain thiaminase and if what you were saying is true, you basically are unable to feed tigrinus any frozen foods anymore.
i’ve heard from many that they are allergic, seen it in this forum many times. you could probably search it, anyways not trying to lose a **** ton of money just for a shrimp. people just feed them tilapia as i do with my other fish

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Generally, any river fish fry. If you can get any.

You could try some live bearers. In the long run I would not recommend them, but they will do temporarily. I have previously fed guppies to dats.

I am not actually sure that the occasional prawn would be bad for your tigrinus, so long as it was not the main food source.
aside from occasionally using goldfish or small feeders, i’ve never really used live fish or bearers. plus it would be nice to have him atleast accepting pellets or cut tilapia

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
i also have a small silver arowana in the tank that isn’t eating and is still extremely shy to humans, any advice?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
This thiaminse thing:

Thiamine, also known as vitamin B1, is a nutrient. It is important for health in fish (and humans).

Thiaminase is an anti-nutrient. It is detrimental to health in fish (and humans).

Unfortunately, many fish and crustaceans naturally contain thiaminase. It does not affect humans so much because we tend to cook fish, which destroys the thiaminase.

Fish don't cook. If fish consume too much thiaminase over time, their health can suffer. Some fish are more prone.

I seem to believe that datnoids are relatively tolerant, as river shrimp are part of their natural diet. They should just not consume it exclusively.

I do not know about tigrinus. They might be less tolerant, especially when young. But they are not allergic.

That is all.

Reactions: Caveden and shern

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
update: he seems to come out to see me occasionally and hangs around the than but most of the time he still just says in the same spot, will try feeding him shrimp when i buy some

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store