odd couple

Charley0400

Feeder Fish
Feb 16, 2015
texas
First, I would like to state that I had absolutely no intentions of breeding any of my cichlids.... I have a 215 gallon tank with 2 Oscars, a green terror, a flowerhorn, a Texas cichlid, a channel catfish (which I know will outgrow the tank but we have a friend with a pond), and a flowerhorn/parrot hybrid....

They all seem to get along fine and are all very similar in size.... But the strangest thing happened.... The hybrid and the Texas paired up! They have a nice little crater (and by little, I mean the entire back right corner of this tank) dug up.

What I have researched tells me that, in hybrids, females are fertile and males are sterile (general speaking). I believe the hybrid I the male because it is the one doing most of the digging and is slightly larger than the Texas.... Do I just let them do their thing since the hybrid is probably sterile? I have no intentions of putting a hodgepodge fish into circulation on the market regardless of the outcome

HELP PLEASE!

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. That pair should work yes some flowerhorns are sterile but you need to show us some pics. I breed Flowerhorn and all Flowerhorn are hybrid.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Look for a dropped breeding tube to ID the female. I'd just let them do their thing, the fry will get eaten soon with those tankmates anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store