Odyssea CFS500 Disaster

NgaNasty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
overthere
I had a cfs 500700 and modded it. It was the best filter I ever had then I gave it away when I got the 700. I should have kept the 500. I dont like the 700 at all. It to loud and to Big

CWO4GUNNER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Yeah, I was tempted by the CFS700 but when I noted the dimensions included a height of 27 inches with nozzles, I realized it would never fit under the tank or inside the stand. Too bad they just did not make a CFS700 that was bigger around like the FX5 not taller, but I think that whoever makes the CFS500 is also contracted to make the FX5 as many of there parts are interchangeable. The big difference being that Fluval as the client-manufacturer obviously requires thicker and better quality plastics.

MakuCentauri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Australia
I've had the 700 on one of my tanks for six months and never had a problem with it. Mine's not loud at all - only time it ever made anything like serious noise was when I had some crap caught in the impeller chamber. My stand is pretty high so the 700 fits perfectly but I agree that a shorter/fatter design would probably be easier for most people.

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.

CWO4GUNNER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have a Fluval 404 with new O-rings and works as designed you can buy for $50 plus shipping, a poor design IMO as are most stacked basket designed filters, youll never seen basket filters in commercial use only home retail marketing. I have never had a loyalty to any name brand only design, blessed with being engineer its not hard to see that the CFS500 has some material and structural concerns that are apparently now being addressed (O-rings, Lid plastic) but the overall design concept is very similar to commercial design applications utilizing circumferential high surface area filter technology which far outstrips any stacked basket design in performance, endurance and biological support. I have absolutely no doubt that If a blind comparative measurable field test were conducted the CFS500 without a doubt would out perform any of the exclusive stacked basket filter designs made today for the home aquarium hobby advertising market. Basket filters were primarily designed to support lucrative market share of prepackaged home filter media products and their endless cornucopia of exaggerated claims, unnecessary use and claimed applications. Almost without out exception you wont see these "basket filters" anywhere in commercial industry because by comparison to circumference large surface area design filters which have been in proven use for over 60 years, there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to performance except in the minds of the creative advertisers where basket filters rule in commercial adds only. Just a little truth and wisdom I thought Id share, absolutly no dig intended.:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store