Of overflows, FX5s, and mechanical filtration choices for large aquariums

daleros

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2008
Memphis, TN
Something I have done to hide the spraybars and all that stuff is bring them in and out of the tank using bulkheads at the top of the tank. I then offset them a little using 90 PVC fittings to get them up where the top frame was hiding them. Also, I used all clear PVC including making my own spraybar.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
daleros;2090400; said:
Something I have done to hide the spraybars and all that stuff is bring them in and out of the tank using bulkheads at the top of the tank. I then offset them a little using 90 PVC fittings to get them up where the top frame was hiding them. Also, I used all clear PVC including making my own spraybar.
OK, Thanks. Is it possible at all to have all the "tubings" go into the overflow compartment as opposed to the bulkheads? For example, the first image of a thread on MFK shows an overflow box:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92626

where, I am thinking that all the tubings will "come" into the tank from the top.

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
The finer filter pads on the FX5's clog up - I'm speaking from my own experience, and I also overstock my tank.

Currently I only run three trays of biological media with the surrounding sponge on each basket and it keeps my 180 looking clean.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
dirtyblacksocks;2090433; said:
The finer filter pads on the FX5's clog up - I'm speaking from my own experience, and I also overstock my tank.

Currently I only run three trays of biological media with the surrounding sponge on each basket and it keeps my 180 looking clean.

OK, Thanks a lot.

Looks like FX5 is the way to go given lesser noise, the only downside I see (besides being expensive!) is that I can not use polishing media with it. A combination of FX5s and 2260s would keep the noise relatively low, compared to AC 110s.

I am hoping that its easy for me to put all the tubing into the overflow box, and it won't cause any problems with the flow/circulation. I would like to hide all the tubings if i can!

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I do use the FX5 polishing pad in my bottom tray (water passes through top-middle-bottom, in that order). The pads are layered and I use about 1/3 of the layer and clean it out with a jet nozzle (I have well water, no chlorine) until it falls apart then grab another 1/3 one. They've never clogged on me but that may be the lower stocking levels and the fact that I don't use the full 1" thick pad at once. My water always looks crystal clear, but it does on all the other tanks that don't have canister filters, too.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
Ksane;2090633; said:
They've never clogged on me but that may be the lower stocking levels and the fact that I don't use the full 1" thick pad at once. My water always looks crystal clear, but it does on all the other tanks that don't have canister filters, too.
Thanks a lot, yes I too think that the fine filter media might be a little too much considering the tank will be full-stocked.

Trucker84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2008
Space
TheOscarGuy;2089654; said:
4. Finally, I have seen most large tanks/aquariums come with "overflows". I have *no experience* with W/D, so please bear with me on this question - can all the filter "intakes" and "spray bars" etc. go into these overflows? I am considering this option such that I don't have to see all the ugly tubings (people with eheims will know what I am talking about) of the filters once the tank is setup. Have any of you had experience with/are using overflow for hiding of tubings, or is this too non-sensical? Again, I do not have any experience with any overflows/W/Ds so all of this may sound stupid - but I wanted to get opinions anyway.
I am currently setting up a 240gal with two FX5s and two AC110's. As fas as the overflow, i think i'm going to plug it, drill some holes near the bottom of it (to allow good water circulation) and place a heater and a powerhead in there. I'll get one of those heaters that has the thermometer at a different location. Then just pump the hot water out of my overflow.

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
Trucker84;2094051; said:
I am currently setting up a 240gal with two FX5s and two AC110's. As fas as the overflow, i think i'm going to plug it, drill some holes near the bottom of it (to allow good water circulation) and place a heater and a powerhead in there. I'll get one of those heaters that has the thermometer at a different location. Then just pump the hot water out of my overflow.
Thanks for your input!
I think you have an external overflow in your setup correct? I probably am worried about how will the placing of all the spray bars inside the overflows affect water flow and circulation (for built-in overflows). I maybe wrong, and this may not even be an issue - but I want to be sure, before I make mistakes while buying a new tank.

Trucker84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2008
Space
no i have a built in overflow. if you plug it and fill the water high the AC110s wont make much noise and put your FX5 nozzles underwater. Presto, no noise

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
I will be setting up a 210g in a couple of weeks. My plan for filtration is as follows 1-fx5 for bio stock sponges rest filled with pot scrubbies. 2- ac110 for mechanical stock sponges only. And 2 powerheads to move the water around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store