Official Designs By Nature 3D Background Thread

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Are they flexible enough to put in a center braced 36 bowfront to install without a seam? Also for sheets cut to work with braces is it easy to install all at once or is it better to let one piece dry then match up the second?
For sure flexible enough. These things are like sheets of rubber, but still sturdy. Think of yoga mat material consistency, how that would be put in a tank.
As far as multiple panels? I don't know, probably better one at a time if it's a flat back background.

Just to clear it up for people, there are three basic types of backgrounds:

1) Flat back hard foam... installs directly against back of the tank flush (or you can pull forward if you want a chamber to hide equipment). Panels, slimline, Bulu point, Congo, Mangrove, Chimba, MNG.

2) 3D back hard foam... these are generally the more detailed backgrounds, the back is hollow and only the rear most portions of the background touch the back of the tank, and can hide equipment. Pombo rocks, river stump, ledge, Justin's tumbes background (which might need to be renamed stingray river now).

3) Flexible. Only one that installs truly flat back is the rocky sheet. Everything else has space behind the background to varying degrees. All can be bent around braces or wrapping around overflows. Olgas, canyon, rocky sheet, BFR COMP, Kiama, crevice, gecko, universal ledge.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also disagree with fake, as a scuba diver I have seen many rock walls and sunken logs with plants growing in sunny areas near the front of rock walls, from the small cenotes in Mexico, to drop offs in large Great Lakes of North America, south to Costa Rica.
pics below are from a cenote filled with sailfin mollies, jack dempseys and catfish in Mexico

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
I also disagree with fake, as a scuba diver I have seen many rock walls and sunken logs with plants growing in sunny areas near the front of rock walls, from the small cenotes in Mexico, to drop offs in large Great Lakes of North America, south to Costa Rica.
pics below are from a cenote filled with sailfin mollies, jack dempseys and catfish in Mexico

No you misunderstood see i know that the trees are natural in the wild. But the actual background, the designs by nature woody tree roots and tree stump backgrounds look really fake. I mean it looks so fake.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
So how durable are these backgrounds with plecs, especially panaques??

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
No you misunderstood see i know that the trees are natural in the wild. But the actual background, the designs by nature woody tree roots and tree stump backgrounds look really fake. I mean it looks so fake.
Care to be specific which one? post a pic of the "so fake" one instead of a blanket statement. I mean seriously are you going to troll this thread too when we just want show the tanks we are proud of?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
This is what the 55 gallon with the "Rocky Sheet" looks like now. The stock is a grow out.

DSC_0010.JPG

Here are a couple of updated before and after pics with different lighting and rockscape on the 120 gallon with the "Selvas"

120-After.JPG

This is what it looks like today with the RTM pair.

DSC_0012.JPG

This is what the 250 gallon with the "Tumbes" looks like with the rays and lesser lighting. It's really cloudy because I had just finished vacuuming the sand.

DSC_0103.JPG

If we rename the Tumbes what should we call it? DBN's owner let me name it after that festae pair so I kind of like it even though I no longer have them.

120-After.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Well I will say to anyone who says the wood pieces look "fake" that over time natural algae and biofilm growth will make them look them look more realistic than any paint job could. The paint colors out of the box actually benefit this process. Look at the color difference of JK47's selvas stump when he had his Midas in the tank vs the RTM pair.

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Well I will say to anyone who says the wood pieces look "fake" that over time natural algae and biofilm growth will make them look them look more realistic than any paint job could. The paint colors out of the box actually benefit this process. Look at the color difference of JK47's selvas stump when he had his Midas in the tank vs the RTM pair.

Ok. Sounds good. Yes there is a big difference comparing those two pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store