Official HR669 Hearing Video , April 23, 2009

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Pittbull@MFK;3054976; said:
Yeah its not totally a dead bill the panels can come up with another and some of those folks really hate the pet trade and would do nothing more to shut it down.. but we as hobbyist in all aspects of the animal trade put up a decent fight and a voice to reckon with in all, this is the first time in such a long time have we all come together and fight something so enormous..

I did my part and kudos to all who did as well..

The bill was not voted down, it is still on the table for amendments. We have more work to do.

Casper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles county
I read this another fish keeper forum about this bill:

H.R. 669 Hearing Update
What’s the status of H.R. 669 after the hearing?
By Benjamin Weiner

On Thursday, April 23, 2009, the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife met to deliberate, investigate and revise H.R. 669, the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act, and decide if it should go to general debate and move forward in the legislative process. The hearing record is being held open for 10 days for responses and to decide whether to proceed.

Chief Executive Officer and General Counsel for the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) Marshall Meyers testified before the Congressional Subcommittee regarding H.R. 669 as a representative of pet owners and the pet industry.

In written testimony submitted to the Subcommittee Meyers stated, “We support the development of a strategic, risk-based process to prevent the introduction of invasive species (harmful nonnative species) into the United States.” However, the current draft of H.R. 669 “fails to be strategic in that it does not adequately take socio-economic issues and risk management options into account,” and would “require funds and staffing not currently available, nor likely to be available, to the US Fish and Wildlife Service.”

Meyers said that they are willing to work with the authors of the bill to craft more realistic legislation that serves the public and affected industries alike.

Congresswoman and Subcommittee Chairwoman Madeleine Bordallo of Guam (who authored this bill) said, “We recognize the bill is by no means perfect and that changes will be needed to address various concerns before any legislation moves forward.”

“As it stands, PIJAC still has issues with points of this bill’s impracticality or lack of clarity,” Meyers said.

Andrew Wyatt President of the United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) said that the hearing was a “smashing success.”

“H.R. 669 is effectively dead,” Wyatt said.

“Two weeks leading up to the hearing, USARK mounted a grassroots campaign of letter writing and phone calls,” he said. “We swamped Capitol Hill with almost 50,000 letters that were delivered to Subcommittee members.”

Wyatt added that on top of that were thousands upon thousands of phone calls, e-mail and letters directly to Subcommittee members.

During the hearing, Congressman and Subcommittee member Henry E. Brown of South Carolina said, “Like members of this Subcommittee, during the past few weeks I have received thousands of calls, e-mails and letters written by constituents in strong opposition of this bill.”

Later, Wyatt quoted Harry Burroughs of the Subcommittee staff as saying, "I haven't seen a letter writing campaign like this in 30 years! You should be proud of yourselves."

Subcommittee member Eni F.H. Faleomavaega of American Samoa, a co-sponsor of the bill, congratulated Meyers, PIJAC and the pet industry for the tremendous grassroots response that has been generated, noting that it is important to have input from constituents on these issues.

Wyatt added that Faleomavaega said that the letters and phone calls hit them like a “buzz saw.”

“We’re so proud of all the people out there that did what they were supposed to do and sent letters and e-mails and phone calls,” he said.

Russ Case, Editor of Aquarium Fish International and FishChannel.com, expressed relief at the outcome. “I’m happy that the bill may be in trouble in its current form, but as we all know, the groups who are against the keeping of exotic pets will return with another. For now I’m cautiously optimistic, but I’ll be waiting to see what they cook up next.”

Both PIJAC and USARK expressed that no current action is required by the public and that more updates are to come

--seems like good news but I hope this site and others will update us in case events turn out for the worse--

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for the post. That is a great description of what happened. I hope that it either dies in committee or they can amend it to include the states rights in the legislation. I don't share the representative of USARK's enthusiasm. It was not a smashing success. The response from the public was a smashing success, but the fact that the bill remains is a remaining threat to our hobby.

thatonegirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
As an individual, I've don as much as I can, letters, emails, phone calls, canvassing, networking, etc., just to make people aware that some are actually considering this. Of all the rading I've done, I've kind of made pijac.org my champion. They've been tracking this issue for a long time and have a lot of information.

Pittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
ewurm wrote:
The bill was not voted down, it is still on the table for amendments. We have more work to do.
(Yeah its not totally a dead bill the panels can come up with another)

Thanks but doesn't this say the same that its not over with i guess i should have said (Yeah its not totally a dead bill the panels can come back with amendments)

Thanks for the correction..

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Pittbull@MFK;3055687; said:
ewurm wrote:

(Yeah its not totally a dead bill the panels can come up with another)

Thanks but doesn't this say the same that its not over with i guess i should have said (Yeah its not totally a dead bill the panels can come back with amendments)

Thanks for the correction..
The bill that was on the table last week is the same bill on the table now. It will be amended. There will be no new bill, this one is still alive and well.

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
Yes, the bill is still alive, I don't think it is well, but I don't intend to let up until it is dead, dead, dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store