Official Hystrix I.D. Thread

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
creepyoldguy;4572250; said:
I'd really like to find a hysrtix but have never seen one local
Probably won't see them local. You might see some leak into the country beginning of december. When you see them show up buy quick and do not wait to think or they will be gone again.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
FishDog;4572258; said:
Probably won't see them local. You might see some leak into the country beginning of december. When you see them show up buy quick and do not wait to think or they will be gone again.
Cool, all we have are motoro's (which I havent seen for a while and retics). Is there a website you can purchase the hystrix from?

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
andersp90;4572645; said:
Remember that all these fish are cf. hystrix. ;)

Should prob be added.
Technically this is correct but the true Hystrix according to science from Argentina some how doesnt have the same appeal.For me these are the most under rated rays from the genus potamotrygon,i personally treasure mine as much as any other stingray in my collection.Sure they they dont have some of the amazing colours and patterns of other species in the hobby but they more than make up for this in shape and character....not to mention dont grow too big for many aquarists wanting to try their hand at keeping these amazing fish.
Going back to patterns......if you havent seen the Hystrix owned by Proximus in Norway then you should....without doubt one of the nicest rays on this forum.....and i truly mean that.
Regards!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
rvrrays;4579417; said:
Love seeing all of these histrix. Great stuff!

Spotfin....they look great.

Colin
Thanks Colin. Good to see you are still here.
The claspers on my male hystrix have grown in the past few months. No where near mature yet, but they are getting bigger.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
keepinfish;4579674; said:
hey good to see you still lurk around. Your my inspiration for hystrix!

Me too.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
They grow much bigger, 20"+

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store