Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nonetheless it happens, whether you can imagine it or not.

So far, you can imagine me boiling a tea kettle, as being non-fiction. That has actually happened, and not only was tea made, but also instant cocoa with tiny marshmallows.

That must certainly count as cooking!
.....probably be pretty nifty for softening Ramen noodles!

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia

So far, you can imagine me boiling a tea kettle, as being non-fiction. That has actually happened, and not only was tea made, but also instant cocoa with tiny marshmallows.

That must certainly count as cooking!
How do you actually use it though?
Did you sit the kettle on the jet of flame coming out of the vertical pipe?

Reactions: Ulu

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Did you sit the kettle on the jet of flame coming out of the vertical pipe?
I suspect the kettle sits precariously on that splayed section at the top of that tube!

If that's the case, then I bet there's no brewing up whilst the grandkids are running around the place!

Looking at that flame it wouldn't surprise me if the kettle actually ended up airborne, lol.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Bah! You guys are being narrow-minded. :) Ulu Ulu has transcended merely building something to do something with it. He is breathing that rarefied air of building something for the sake of building it. It's art, and exists for its own sake. :)

The journey is the destination. 🧐

Now that...is an answer! :clap

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I suspect the kettle sits precariously on that splayed section at the top of that tube!

If that's the case, then I bet there's no brewing up whilst the grandkids are running around the place!

Looking at that flame it wouldn't surprise me if the kettle actually ended up airborne, lol.
Thats what i was thinking, i imagined some poor fool 3 streets away happily mowing his lawn suddenly getting scalded and knocked unconscious as Ulu Ulu boiling kettle suddenly gets launched into the sky and crashes down on his head

• Haha
Reactions: Ulu and esoxlucius

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I suspect the kettle sits precariously on that splayed section at the top of that tube…..
7296B489-63B6-41D5-A377-5A60D48D2171.jpeg
There are eight points of contact, where the normal camping stove only gives you three. I judge this is quite stable (unless there is a strong earthquake) and have no problem; except that I keep the dog away from it.

Bah! You guys are being narrow-minded. :) Ulu Ulu has transcended merely building something to do something with it. He is breathing that rarefied air of building something for the sake of building it. It's art, and exists for its own sake. :)

The journey is the destination. 🧐
Yes, thank you, and absolutely correct except that my actual destination was indeed instant cocoa with tiny marshmallows.

Getting there involved extra welding practice and pipe fitting and random exploratory adventures into the entrails of a refrigeration compressor and a nitrogen charged shock absorber.

77D7C1AA-EC14-4D51-9F99-8BCE43014D00.jpeg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
[QUOTE="Ulu”] ….my actual destination was indeed instant cocoa with tiny marshmallows….[/QUOTE]
There was also an ulterior motive. I was looking for useful things to do with that free refrigeration compressor. Also I was not satisfied with my previous stove building attempt, and I thought this would be an improvement. It certainly is hotter.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, the destination may have been hot cocoa...but surely the goal was to achieve that destination by way of a unique and singular route, one likely not taken if ultimate efficiency were the intent.

Bravo! :)

When I go deer hunting, the destination is indeed a freezer full of venison...but the goal is to achieve that with a flintlock, or a traditional recurve bow, or an antique buffalo rifle, or some other challenging non-mainstream method. It's not the most efficient means...but the added satisfaction is incalculable...just like cocoa made on that cool rocket stove. :) :clap

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Chicago officials raise new outbreak alarm as medieval disease spreads across shelters (msn.com)

Hello; Interesting is it not that just a few years ago we were on lockdowns & restrictions over Covid. Now illegals cross the border carrying who knows what contagious diseases. When i was young a friend's father died of TB. TB is a serious disease we pretty much had control of. New strains of TB emerged some years ago resistant to medications. Guess TB may become endemic again.

How the winds have changed. From economy crushing lockdowns to passing diseased folks into the country with only cursory checks. Last i heard the processing of those crossing the border illegally has been minimized. Glad I do not have kids in a school.

Reactions: celebrist and Ulu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store