Oh boy melanochromis a. Bred with red zebra

sambenoit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2011
I dont know
They will never sucessfully breed. I read a book that cichlids act like the other and breed to eat the fry. Its a evolutionary trait that they has develope.d over time. I'm gonna go look in my library and send you the book. I had this happen to me before with my auratus and redzebra. He stole the eggs possible from another fish in the same species.

I have had melachromis johanni breed with red zebra I have like 120 2inch to 3 inch fish.

sambenoit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2011
I dont know
Also their are hermaphradite fish that are infertile. Its strange for auratus to "change sex" and breed that is very very rare the book says.

They will never sucessfully breed. I read a book that cichlids act like the other and breed to eat the fry. Its a evolutionary trait that they has develope.d over time. I'm gonna go look in my library and send you the book. I had this happen to me before with my auratus and redzebra. He stole the eggs possible from another fish in the same species.

I have had melachromis johanni breed with red zebra I have like 120 2inch to 3 inch fish.

Fish_Man_Dan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
fort lauderdale, FL
auratus females change colors to look like males while holding to avoid the male's courtship. they dont actually change genders to breed. Any mbuna from lake malawi can have viable, live fry with any mbuna also from lake malawi. chances are there are no other auratus in the tank and it's her first spawn, so she ate the eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store