Oh Deer!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Just out of curiosity, Esox...is it also illegal to chop off dogs' ears and tails in "blighty"? I recall my father explaining to me when I was a young child how, when he was a youngster in the "Old Country"(rural Ukraine, in this case), dogs' ears were usually left alone, but the tails were often removed by the simple expedient of biting them off...the biting being done by the dog's owner. I was horrified.

Q: "Why would they do that, Dad?"

A: "Veterinarians were not even in existence then, not where I grew up, anyway."

Q: "No, no, I mean...why would anybody want to cut off a dog's tail?"

A: "It looks better; everybody did it..."

Oh, okay...that explains it... :headshake

The last dog which my father owned, and which I inherited and kept until her death a number of years later, was a beautiful little MinPin...my wife always referred to her as a Lhapso Fatso :)...which was also, coincidentally, the only dog which my father ever purchased, as opposed to all the rescues we had as I was growing up. She had her ears and tail "done", and I am pretty sure that he bought her because he liked the look, but knew that I would be aghast if he had it done to a pup that came to him au naturel.

"Normal" is a dangerously weird word.
I atleast know that ear docking is a common practice for mastiff and bully breed owners, just because they tend to get allot of hygiene issues with all the loose skin. Docking the ears just makes for less maintenance long term.

As for docking of the tail I see that commonly in large dog breeds that can have tails as thick as a baseball bat. I imagines it's so ya don't end up with bruised legs from just petting the dog.

My dog Cadee had both cropped ears and tail ( not our choice, we got her as a rescue from an abusive owner that was running a puppy mill). The only downside to cropping the ears that we noticed was that ppl would be afraid to go near her because they couldn't read what mood she was in with the lack of ear signals. She was such a sweet heart tho, lol she'd turn into a puddle on the floor everytime someone pet her. I still miss that dog, she was by far the best dog I ever had. She was a pure bred cane Corso mastiff btw.

20180211_000709.jpg

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Neighbors came to visit. Two in the front yard and this handsome boy in the back yard. He stayed for a LONG time The two does in the front yard never made it to the back yard, so must have gone up the hill instead.

1681919184243.png

1681923642787.png

He liked the tall grass growing where the fish tank water drains
1681923707996.png

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thought of this thread when the herd of deer actually decided to let me take their picture for once:
IMG_1168.jpegIMG_1170.jpeg It’s always great watching them go through the snow - I never really noticed the thick winter coat they get.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
We have deer around our house. I don’t mind them except when they chomp on our rose bushes, apple and ornamental trees, berry bushes, and Halloween pumpkins. If we see them around, we release the hounds 🙂

IMG_0904.jpeg

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Thanks for sharing
I've been watching North Woods Law and they are very serious about wildlife especially hunting and fishing.
Yes, we are. To note, it is illegal to bait deer and any other game animal during hunting seasons. The Brownville folks put the food out after deer season is done.
Warden MacCabe worked with our group (not IFW) one summer several years ago before he was a warden. He's a good guy. I haven't met any of the other wardens on the show.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store