Ok...WHo has a big florida gar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I've had my Florida Gar for about 5 years now. He's about 18 inches long and is very personable and loves to be hand feed crickets and shrimp tails. Believe it or not but I got him at Wal-Mart for $15 bucks when he was about 9 inches long. He really likes my albino oscar for some reason and follows him around the tank with his snout along side my oscars head.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Vicious_Fish;748746; said:
I've had my Florida Gar for about 5 years now. He's about 18 inches long and is very personable and loves to be hand feed crickets and shrimp tails. Believe it or not but I got him at Wal-Mart for $15 bucks when he was about 9 inches long. He really likes my albino oscar for some reason and follows him around the tank with his snout along side my oscars head.
My Florida Gar does the exact same to my female Ornate Bichir. A question though, you baught your Gar at 9 inches and it has only grown for just another 9 inches more in 5 years??? Like 2 inches growth a year? Isn't that an extremely slow growth? I baught my Gar at about 5-6 inches and within 4-5 months he / she is a foot long. What's wrong here?:confused:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Sarcosuchus;748929; said:
My Florida Gar does the exact same to my female Ornate Bichir. A question though, you baught your Gar at 9 inches and it has only grown for just another 9 inches more in 5 years??? Like 2 inches growth a year? Isn't that an extremely slow growth? I baught my Gar at about 5-6 inches and within 4-5 months he / she is a foot long. What's wrong here?:confused:
most gar species grow quickly to anywhere from 16-20", and then slow down dramatically. other factors, such as water changes, quality, food/feeding schedule, etc also play a part in this. it's not very surprising that a Florida gar in captivity (didnt catch the tank size) is only 18"...does seem a little small for 5 years of age, but not surprising--
--solomon

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
both my florida/spotted gars (dont even kno what they truely are) are between 17-18" now, and i have a 20" shortnose

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Pix please, you guys?!

The only gars I have seen were in Hong Kong. Waiting for 2 to arrive ordered by my LFS..would love to see more pix!

JS Nova 72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2005
Ridge, N.Y.
Great looking tank Mr. Harris! What size tank is that?

Jude

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
still great looking...:D

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts