Old sand still good?

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
I have about 10lbs of aragonite sand that was taken out of a previous saltwater set up. It's been sitting in a bucket for a few months (maybe 6?). It doesn't smell of anything when it's dry, but when I tried to rinse out all of the dust, it smelled kind of bad. Not sure if this means it's a nono to put into my established 14g biocube...anybody had the same situation and is there any way of cleaning the sand so I can use it? Or should I just chuck it?
Thanks

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
Put it in a Rubbermaid tote and then just stick the hose in it and let the water run for a few hours and stir it up every so often. I've re used sand. I do it different though I dump it next to my drive way and let it sit for a few months and get rained on and baked in the sun the rake it up and rinse it really good

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
Or put a little bleach in the bucket an stir it up once a day and then rinse it and poor rodi an declorinator in te bucket and let it sit for a week adding declorinator everyday

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
Thanks dude. Ill try that out with a powerhead instead of a hose. Every couple of hours I'll empty some water and replace it? Here in arizona, water is quite precious haha especially to my dad.

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
I had the sand in a small tank for a couple of days with a powerhead it didnt smell of anything by the time i had changed the water a few times and rinsed it through again so i added it to the tank and it looks great.
My two panorama pro fixtures came in the mail today. I installed them successfully in my hood with zip ties and the screws they provided me. My tank had been 'in the dark' without any direct light for a few months now and now that I have my lights on (12k/445nm and a 445nm/magenta) my damsels colours are popping and the whole tank looks better than ever. I'm going to wait a few weeks probably to do some more research before I take another dive into the wonderful world of corals and try to stock my tank anymore.
That aside, I was observing my tank after putting my lights on and I think I've come across a corynactis growing on the back wall. It's about .25 inch in diametre at the moment and as soon as I saw it I thought 'aiptasia', but I did some googling and came up with this image http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1766 which looks exactly like it. I caught my damsel nipping at it once but he seems to leave it alone for the most part. Anyway I'm pretty excited about this and I'm looking forward to my tank evolving. I'll try to get some fts up in a bit.

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
I'm not familiar with corynactis but looks like a non photosyn cup coral. I have a small colony of them. Never heard of them appearing spontaneously though. They reproduce by budding mostly. Can't imagine you had one appear from a planktonic state. Look closer and make sure it's not a Mojano anemone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store