On the difficulty of correctly identifying your Goonch. (Bagarius)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Very nice, write up, explained almost everything to me. My question is: Is it responsible to buy one of High Land Giants? They very threaneded Arent they, and close to extinction ?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Individual populations are under severe duress, but the overall population of goonch cat fishes seems to be stable if vulnerable. It is hard to say how healthy each species is because the population dynamics of these fish isn't entirely understood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Garfanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2013
Sweden
This is extremely interesting reading and i wish that someone could stick it so that it will be easier to find! Great job! I also wish that someone would do a species guide similar to the one explaining gars. I understand that its slightly more complicated since its so much confusion in this genus but any attempt would be really appreciated! :)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
This thread was a treat to read. Even if i dont own a bagarius species i cant wait until i lay my hands on one. They hardly come available here in sweden. And when they do they cost a fortune.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
This thread was a treat to read. Even if i dont own a bagarius species i cant wait until i lay my hands on one. They hardly come available here in sweden. And when they do they cost a fortune.
Thank you!

Boy this is a thread I haven't seen in quite some time, it made my morning to see this get bumped.

Do note that a couple years after o wrote this, I ended up finalizing the division with a true care and identification guide, which can be found as a sticky topic on the front page of the Catfish section. :)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thank you!

Boy this is a thread I haven't seen in quite some time, it made my morning to see this get bumped.

Do note that a couple years after o wrote this, I ended up finalizing the division with a true care and identification guide, which can be found as a sticky topic on the front page of the Catfish section. :)
Have read every single word in both threads. Since im mostly interested in the cichla genus this was some really ediucating reading. As i said earlier i cant wait until i get a bagarius in one of my tanks. Hopefully i can get my hands on a bagarius suchus

Reactions: Chicxulub

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you!

Another thousand likes for my hero, please. Move over 2K likes, boss! I am serious!

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store